Interior light and light buzzer SL500 R129

schlegh@uk.ibm.com

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK 320 A209 RHD
Hi, I am struggling to find a fault on my 1990 SL500. When opening drivers door, curtesy light and buzzer for "lights on" will not work, but it all works fine when opening left (passenger side) door. I have tried changing over the 2 door switches, but that didn't help. I have checked all fuses in fusebox and they are OK. Any advise on what to search for?

Also the car is quite bouncy on the front. I had the rear spheares replaced, and the bouncing seems to come from the front, should the front Spheares also need replacing? Is there a way to test them before just buying and fitting now ones? The car has ADS, it raises fine and had the shocks replaced 2 years ago, hydralics level is OK.

Thanks for any feedback.

Henrik

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Henrik welcome to the forum,,I will PM a member Richard Moakes who knows these cars well.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Henrik,

A simple test is to press down on the front wings/fenders when the car is turned off, if there is almost no movement then the spheres will need replacing. If you get an appreciable deflection and bounce like a conventional shock absorber then all is well with the spheres.

Start with that simple test, and let me know the results.

As for your courtesy light switch issue, then I suspect the issue is a relay, others may chip in here, not sure where it is located.

Regards,

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
not sure if this will be of any use or not but fords used to have a problem with the lights on warning buzzer and courtesy lights not working when the door is opened. the contacts on the door switch 'corroded' and needed cleaned or a replacement switch fitted. they are earth switches on fords (i presume MB are the same?)and can be tested simply by removing the switch, pulling the wirte off the switch and earthing the wire out on the hole the switch was removed from

OP
S

schlegh@uk.ibm.com

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK 320 A209 RHD
Thanks, tested the front damping, it's hard as a rock so will get spheres changed...Have read somewhere on the US forum that it can be a DIY job, although not as easy as the rear ones...will give it a go this weekend. Tried to ground the switches in the door as Pete suggested that did not cure the problem...Does anyone on the forum know where to search for the interior curtesy light and buzzer relay activated by the right side door contact?

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
Changing the front spheres isn't too tricky, just make sure you get the right ones if you don't order them from MB. Eurocarparts list the wrong items and it can a pain to get them to order the correct ones.

You will need some new ZH-M fluid, either get 2 x 1L bottles from the dealer, or you can get the Febi branded fluid from GSF for half the price.

Use good quality flare spanners on the hose unions, they are soft and might need some gentle persuasion, brute force will equal destroyed fittings and a necessity to get new lines.

Top Bottom