Interior parts carbon wrap - just plain tacky or acceptable ?

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
A quick follow up to this, when I bought my car there were slight marks indicative of somebody rather clumsily removing the window switch on the drivers door but the switch was secure and worked. When I took the door panel off I found that the switch doesn't just pop out, in typical Mercedes fashion it's held in place with two clips or screws.
As you've probably already guessed the heathen PO had prised it out breaking the clips and the inside of the door panel before gluing the switch back in. Fearing I would need to buy a complete door panel I was told that the switch and handle are available separately. That was the good news, the master switch is £73.00, a little pricey but not miles over what I expected, then the bad news, the handle is £274 inc. VAT after discount!:eek:
The handles, particularly the drivers side, seem to be in short supply on fleabay and the condition isn't great so although it will take a little while to get here I thought the condition of this one looked good, so for £47 including shipping and customs I bought it - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-MERCEDES-BENZ-SL500-R230-5-RIGHT-PASS-INTERIOR-DOOR-PANEL-HANDLE-BLACK-OEM/282834493060?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I shall buy the switch new from the dealer because as ridiculous as this sounds people are wanting £100+ for them on ebay, what's with that it's dearer than buying from the dealer?:D
I could leave it as is but I'm having the door panel off to redo the wrap to get the pattern the right way up and I hate knowing that something isn't as it should be so I shall sort it out.:)

Blurryface

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2005
It's a "no" from me - nut each to their own and if we all liked the same thing life would get pretty boring pretty fast

Carbon fibre is used for lightness / strength, adding plastic wrap "carbon fibre" is adding weight and not making anything stronger.

I hear you and carbon fibre is a marmite choice. I would say though having the panels dipped rather than wrapped adds about as much weight as a pint of fuel at the most.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I hear you and carbon fibre is a marmite choice. I would say though having the panels dipped rather than wrapped adds about as much weight as a pint of fuel at the most.

The coating from dipping is so thin that it weighs less than paint (which is actually quite heavy) and certainly less than vinyl .....but I agree that added weight here is not a concern - people wrap whole cars!

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
So my second hand door handle arrived today from the US exactly as predicted, delivery by 1st April, and it's in excellent condition so worth the £37.69p spent to get rid of the marked one that's currently in the car. Obviously plus the £74 for the new switch but at least it won't be a glued in bodge job any more. :)

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
The only issue with painting them is if I don't like the look of it it can't be reversed, I've ordered some carbon wrap and a heat gun and I'll see what it looks like. If I don't like it I can always warm it up and peel it off, I've ordered a matte wrap but being the indecisive person I am having seen my friends M3 with genuine gloss carbon fibre trim I'm not sure matter was the right choice? :)

please post pics of the before and after results,
also, where are you buying the wrap from ?

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
Well I have no intention of spending £999 on genuine carbon fibre replacements that would add little to no value to the car and if I try and it looks dreadful I can peel it off again, I shall post some photo's when I've done it. :)

A grand.. all this 999 sh1t

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom