Intermittent Climate Control/Air Conditioning

red_baron

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Estate/1999/3.2
Hi there,

I have a 1999 E320 (petrol) estate which has been displaying unusual behaviours from the climate control.....

The fans seem to have a life of their own and their speed/performance bears no relation to the digital fan readout in the climate control unit. An example would be when you need maximum defrost.....the climate control head unit shows the fan speed at full (i.e. all bars) yet, little or no air is emitted from the vents. You will be driving along and then suddenly, the fans burst into life for a minute or so and then shut down or slow down whilst the display shows full power. The same behaviour happens whether you want cold or hot air. The other behaviour is like a pulsing where they will speed up and slow down regularly.

All of these behaviours are completely independent of the what the control unit says.

I have had the a/c recharged and bought a new climate control head unit (from Ebay) - neither of which has solved the problem.

It was suggested to me that the fan resistor pack/unit has failed but wanted to check with this forum first in order to gain advice (and before I buy yet another unnecessary unit ;) )

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It could be either the resistor pack or the fan unit itself(worn brushes).

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom