1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent ignition problem - W203 (2001) C240 Avantgarde

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by michaelarran, Nov 12, 2012.

1. michaelarran

michaelarran Member

Has anyone observed a similar problem to this?

on 5/11 went to work and back (50 miles) with no problem, but that evening although the starter motor worked the engine wouldn't start. No warning indicator lights on the dashboard.

6/11 started first time, with the engine management light on. Hmm. OK, I thought, better get it checked out. Anyway, busy day, and I didn't get round to it, and then when started again it worked perfectly, and the engine management light wasn't illuminated.

No problems all week until 10/11 when as I was driving along in the morning I felt a loss of power for a couple of seconds, all the lights on the dashboard flashed on, and then the car carried on as if nothing happened. Parked, then drove home again with no problems, and no lights only to find it wouldn't start again that afternoon.

11/11 Started first time with the engine management light on, and the same thing this morning.

I will take it into one of the local garages, but would be grateful if anyone could suggest where this problem could be.

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Steves post below is spot on for this fault, so I have taken away py post

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  3. grober

grober Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 C200cdi estate
  4. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    What do you mean the starter motor work but the engine not start?? Do you mean the engine cranked over but the engine failed to fire?

I would say a possible CPS failure looking at your other discriptions but would need a STAR test first to investigate.

5. OP
    michaelarran

michaelarran Member

Yes, the engine cranked over for a few seconds, but did not start. I looked at some CPS reports, and it seems to fit the pattern of not starting when warm, but fine when cold.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    That is usually the common failure yes but do not discount it totally. You need a STAR test to progress further

7. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Re reading yes as said the CPS could do it,,, on my CL when the sensor was failing it did put the lamp on when driving when it faltered