Intermittent intermittent wipers!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Noticed today that the wipers on my W203 C180 went on to intermittent speed when on the first speed, not intermittent, as the rain eased and the auto headlights had switched on.
Now as far as I can see from the spec of my car it doesn't have rain sensing wipers and has two sensors on the windscreen. The windscreen has been replaced at some time.
Just curious whether this is the start of a problem or did something need reset when the screen was changed sometime before my ownership.

DelDrew

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK280 Sport Convertible
Probably a faulty stalk, a common problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Probably a faulty stalk, a common problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Certainly a distinct possibility but I got the impression that the speed of the wipe was proportional to the amount of rain and when I changed the speed everything went back to normal.
Strange.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Think I've got the gist of the question.

Mine, on slow/first (constant) speed will change to intermittent when I come to a halt.

Similarly, if set to intermittent, then when low road speed/coming to a halt, they will stop.

All resumes as set when moving off again.

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Think I've got the gist of the question.

Mine, on slow/first (constant) speed will change to intermittent when I come to a halt.

Similarly, if set to intermittent, then when low road speed/coming to a halt, they will stop.

All resumes as set when moving off again.
Brilliant, Ken exactly that. It's been bugging me on and off (intermittently) since I got the car over two years ago, I read the instruction manual and lots of other advice about it but could never find a satisfactory answer.
How did you find out?

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
How did you find out?

By looking at the windscreen (intermittently):D. Damn clever these motors! I can remember a vehicle, I think it was a Scania where, if you wanted to change the 'delay' in the Intermittent 'wipe', then one switched the wipers from intermittent to off, and then back on again. The 'delay' [between the actions] was then stored as a 'time function' for each additional 'sweep' [of the wipers].

Not that I ever found that it actually worked.:rolleyes:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
By looking at the windscreen (intermittently):D. Damn clever these motors! I can remember a vehicle, I think it was a Scania where, if you wanted to change the 'delay' in the Intermittent 'wipe', then one switched the wipers from intermittent to off, and then back on again. The 'delay' [between the actions] was then stored as a 'time function' for each additional 'sweep' [of the wipers].

VWs do that ....

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180

Ah, that's what I was doing wrong I was looking through the screen!:)
Anyway both you and the wiper motor are way cleverer than me.:confused:
Thanks again.

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom