intermittent PAS problem?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
recently noticed that my pas seems to assist me less when turning the wheel to the right than to the left. only seems to happen intermittently, and not a vast loss, but noticeable. anyone come across this before? i prefer to have many little minor problems than 1 great big one! :neutral:

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i will check that. nothing mentioned at mot 1500 miles ago (feb) maybe lack of use is the cause? sounds like a job for a weekend when i dont need the car!

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
As I've mentioned before in the context of W124 ball joints, as the coil spring loads this joint heavily, most garages and MOT stations sadly don't know how to check them.

The traditional pull and push on the wheel is nowhere near enough force to overcome the spring's preload, and you need to get a lever against the inside rim of the tyre to see if there's any lift.

I knew the N/S ball joint on my W124 needed changing, and had the part ready to fit when I put it through the MOT. When I had fitted the new joint shortly afterwards, I was shocked to see just how bad the ball joint was - it was a rusty mess!

The good thing for you is that your ball joint is a bolt in type, which can be changed in minutes - unlike the W124's which has to pressed out and back in, which takes a little longer!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The MOT would only pick it up if it was loose, it could be full of rust

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
would a ball joint be an intermittent fault though? could it be through lack of use? i know when it was mot'd it was jacked up under the arms. tester tells me thats the correct way to check them. he's also an ex employer of mine and usually mentions anything he feels needs mentioning. he did mention front whelbearings need adjusted next service, if that little lot tells you anything?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With the front jacked up, you should be able to get hold of a wheel and swing it to either lock, if one was tight you may feel it when it is on full lock, as there would be no free play that could be felt. comparing one side to the other also helps

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>mot'd it was jacked up under the arms. tester tells me thats the correct way to check them.

Yes, that method *can* be OK. The thing which many don't appreciate though is how close to the ball joint you need to put the jack - if you aren't far enough out, away from the rubber bushes, the spring still wins!

The ball joint can be intermittent if the plastic liner is breaking up - sometimes it jams, sometimes it doesn't.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom