Is it possible to generate a massive cloud of smoke temporarily?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Last time i saw this was in the E63 and amazingly and quite coincidentally all the tread had disappeared off my rear tyres! Who would believe it?:D

Love it :)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Last time i saw this was in the E63 and amazingly and quite coincidentally all the tread had disappeared off my rear tyres! Who would believe it?:D
Quite incredible though it may seem...

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Soo... the plot thickens!

I've been out this morning, running a series of very scientific tests.

Having found a suitable hill near my home, I made three runs from the bottom. Each time I would manually put into first gear and floor it. Results:
  1. (after about 30/40 minutes of idling and slow traffic. Got some noticeable smoke from exhaust as I accelerated hard up the hill. As a kind reward, I also got a flashing EML, and a misfire. Misfire Cylinder 3. Thankfully clearing the EML/Codes returned engine to normal. I didn't clear the codes until after the 3 runs. In hindsight, the car was down on power (limp perhaps) and might have affected the following runs.
  2. No smoke, although car seemed down on power. EML still on but didn't flash.
  3. No smoke, same power note. EML still on but didn't flash.
Will assume the EML only flashes upon first detecting misfire.

Soo.. consider that. So it's very clearly valve stem seals or potentially piston rings / liner scoring of some sort.

With the above in mind, I have also concluded that the absolutely massive plume of smoke before was as a result of massive lengths of idling or a potential accumulation of many short runs and finally pressing on a bit at the bottom of a hill (stars/moon aligned!).

Alex Foti mentioned that it would be a good idea to pull all the plugs out and keep note of the cylinders to inspect state. That should tell a bit more, as these have just been replaced in June with only a couple thousand miles (if even) put on since then.

I guess we are at the point where compression / leak down tests need to be run.

Yesterday I did 60 motorway miles, and today heading to Bristol at a total of 260 miles. Glad the car will be getting some good clean driving under it's belt as I am sure my usual day to day stop start driving is putting a lot of oil through the car. This weekend should let it clear its throat..

Interested in any ideas.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Soo... the plot thickens!

I've been out this morning, running a series of very scientific tests.

Having found a suitable hill near my home, I made three runs from the bottom. Each time I would manually put into first gear and floor it. Results:
  1. (after about 30/40 minutes of idling and slow traffic. Got some noticeable smoke from exhaust as I accelerated hard up the hill. As a kind reward, I also got a flashing EML, and a misfire. Misfire Cylinder 3. Thankfully clearing the EML/Codes returned engine to normal. I didn't clear the codes until after the 3 runs. In hindsight, the car was down on power (limp perhaps) and might have affected the following runs.
  2. No smoke, although car seemed down on power. EML still on but didn't flash.
  3. No smoke, same power note. EML still on but didn't flash.
Will assume the EML only flashes upon first detecting misfire.

Soo.. consider that. So it's very clearly valve stem seals or potentially piston rings / liner scoring of some sort.

With the above in mind, I have also concluded that the absolutely massive plume of smoke before was as a result of massive lengths of idling or a potential accumulation of many short runs and finally pressing on a bit at the bottom of a hill (stars/moon aligned!).

Alex Foti mentioned that it would be a good idea to pull all the plugs out and keep note of the cylinders to inspect state. That should tell a bit more, as these have just been replaced in June with only a couple thousand miles (if even) put on since then.

I guess we are at the point where compression / leak down tests need to be run.

Yesterday I did 60 motorway miles, and today heading to Bristol at a total of 260 miles. Glad the car will be getting some good clean driving under it's belt as I am sure my usual day to day stop start driving is putting a lot of oil through the car. This weekend should let it clear its throat..

Interested in any ideas.
You did not happen to drive through a crowd of politicians by any chance, Conor???

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Theres never smoke without ( fire ) conor so either its the time of month or something is about to fail

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Theres never smoke without ( fire ) conor so either its the time of month or something is about to fail

I think they have failed.. piston rings or valve stem seals. Usually it would be a turbo people might worry about but there isn't one.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
long time back Conor I had a 407 coupe 2.2 petrol , it smoked like buggerie when hot idling but never at any other time , I just kept putting oil in it ;)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think they have failed.. piston rings or valve stem seals. Usually it would be a turbo people might worry about but there isn't one.
Piston rings or valve stem seals...just wondering if a compression test would tell you anything, especially about the condition of the rings and the bores? Have you tried removing the dipstick , revving it up and seeing what blows up the dipstick tube?

Top Bottom