Is my car a blue efficiency or not!?

Tuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220
Hi, I have been driving a bog standard basic 2011 C220 blue efficiency when I recently changed to the new 2014 spec E220. Although they use the same engine etc and both have stop-start etc, gearbox, I suddenly realised that the E Class wasn't also badged as a 'Blue Efficiency'?? Does it still benefit from all the same efficiency enhancements as the old car or is it intentionally down spec'd and retrograde to make the E350 hybrid in the range all the better?
I must admit the e220 seems both more powerful but also significantly worse in fuel efficiency than the c220 after 1,000 miles and it bothers me that this may in part be due to an older, less refined non-blue efficiency spec'd engine.
Why would MB fit a less advanced engineering spec engine in a more modern, posher class car if so??

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Maybe they have just dropped the term as it means sod all??

But seriously? You have gone to a new car with new engine that weighs more and has more power and you are getting less MPG?

giphy.gif

;)

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
How many miles have you got on the E220?

What MPG were you getting on the C220 and now the E220?

Calculated not OBC.

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
Hi, its unlikely you have a less advanced engineered vehicle. Its more likely your newer one is notable more advanced in some respects.

The new generation Blue Efficiency vehicles are specifically configured to minimize the emission levels from the vehicle when its being driven. Some the characteristics of this approach (to meet tighter emission requirements) is that the cars initially focus on the technical criteria to achieve these emission levels and then the car looks to optimize fuel consumption.

In the past the cars were configured to change up to 7th gear at the earliest opportunity to optimize fuel consumption. The new Blue Efficiency needs to get the operating temperatures up and this often means the car will hold a lower gear for longer. In addition, when the DPF is recycling, its not uncommon for the car to drop a gear (or two) to ensure the recycling process is maximized by increasing engine revs.

Put all this together, the older technology cars cant realistically be compared with the latest ones in terms of MPG.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Hi, its unlikely you have a less advanced engineered vehicle. Its more likely your newer one is notable more advanced in some respects.

The new generation Blue Efficiency vehicles are specifically configured to minimize the emission levels from the vehicle when its being driven. Some the characteristics of this approach (to meet tighter emission requirements) is that the cars initially focus on the technical criteria to achieve these emission levels and then the car looks to optimize fuel consumption.

In the past the cars were configured to change up to 7th gear at the earliest opportunity to optimize fuel consumption. The new Blue Efficiency needs to get the operating temperatures up and this often means the car will hold a lower gear for longer. In addition, when the DPF is recycling, its not uncommon for the car to drop a gear (or two) to ensure the recycling process is maximized by increasing engine revs.

Put all this together, the older technology cars cant realistically be compared with the latest ones in terms of MPG.

This is interesting. Twice in 12 months my car wouldnt automatically go to 7th whilst motorway driving until I restarted the engine. I thought it was a glitch but maybe it was the dpf regenerating.

OP
T

Tuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220
Thanks for the replies. The car has done c1,000 miles from new so I suppose the engine is still quite tight :mad:S. Interesting about the changes- I have found that the Eco stop-start is very reluctant to kick in with the new car and will also switch off mid journey which the old one will not do.

Interesting the comments about Blue Efficiency - I thought this was the same as BMWs ED which means low rolling resistance bearings, tyres etc as well as the engine ECU? I worry that because the new E Class is not badged as such I cannot be assured it also has this raft of efficiency measures?

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
Message for Geraldrobins....

It can be frustrating that the the car doesn't always go into 7th gear either as you would expect it to, or for what seems like forever.

There are a few things that "look after" the achievement of the emission levels.

When the DPF is recycling it typically drops one gear. The good news is that if the low fuel lamp is illuminated, the DPF is prevented from recycling as the process causes the DPF to get very how and with a low fuel level there is a higher risk you'll visit a fuel station.

If the car is not going into 7th due to the DPF recycling, don't be tempted to manually select 7th gear - this terminates the process and it has to restart again; you may be almost at the end of the process when you unwittingly force a restart.

The longest I've had mine recycling for was for 15 miles at 70 mph - it seemed like a lifetime!

The key to internalizing it all is to recognize the priorities have changed and the exhaust emissions come first.

OP
T

Tuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220
Concerned this isn't a Blue Efficiency?

Taken delivery of a new 2014 model std E-Class e220 Cdi but suddenly realised that it is not Blue Efficiency badged for some reason? Does this mean it isn't, have MB dropped the term? I would have thought all new MBs would meet the BE spec? Only done c1300 miles so far but the fuel economy seems pretty shocking at less than 40mpg. Have I got a massive mistake :mad:S

Last edited:

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Didn't you ask this question on Monday ? :confused:

NP46

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MY16 GOLF R DSG: C220 Gone.
I've got a new C220 Blue and it's not badged.
However, your sales documents should say if yours is blue or not, mine do.

This story reminds me of a friend that bought an 8v vauxhall calibra thinking it was a 16v :D

Nik.

Taken delivery of a new 2014 model std E-Class e220 Cdi but suddenly realised that it is not Blue Efficiency badged for some reason? Does this mean it isn't, have MB dropped the term? I would have thought all new MBs would meet the BE spec? Only done c1300 miles so far but the fuel economy seems pretty shocking at less than 40mpg. Have I got a massive mistake :mad:S

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
It doesnt matter how its badged. Its the emissions that matter if it has low emissions then it supposedly efficient. Check on your V5 and the tax disc fee will indicate how efficient it is. Id quess an auto E220 would have emissions arounf 120-130 depending on tyres etc.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom