Is my car taking the HISS

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Today I heard / noticed something for the first time. When I got out of my car at home and locked the doors. After maybe 10 seconds I heard a click then a hiss.. Like a puncture..
The sound was coming from the front passenger side wheel.
That was when I noticed the car lowering itself maybe an inch..
The hiss then stopped as abruptly as it had started..
Is this normal with airmatic? I haven't noticed it doing that before but then when I usually lock the car I am in the house within seconds..
This time I was helping mum with stuff into the house.
Was it a one off event or is it something that needs investigation?

Last edited:

m3gt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'68 E220 estate Premium Plus, Command Online with Virtual Cockpit, soft close doors and full ceramic
Both my S Classes do it, I assume its to take the strain off the seals so they last longer but I'm sure someone will confirm this

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
wouldn't worry about it Simon, i know my 211 does the same for the rear self leveling suspention, freaked me out first time it did it, you weren't parked on a small incline were you?

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That's normal Simon, relax they just settle down once the pressure is turned off, and thanks for the phone call :D

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's normal Simon, relax they just settle down once the pressure is turned off, and thanks for the phone call :D

Phew.. Thanks for that Malcolm..
As I said in the original post I don't usually hang around the car when I have just locked up..
When I first drive off I hear the air pump for maybe 10 seconds after driving off and then very rarely after that initial pump up..
I had read about Valve blocks leaking air and wondered if my car had caught valveblockitus...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Mine does the same Simon, almost as if it's sighing :)

What I find fascinating is unlocking and opening a door and quickly sitting in the car but with my feet still on the ground, I can feel the car rise up, just as if it is girding it's loins ready for the off!! :D

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine does the same Simon, almost as if it's sighing :)

What I find fascinating is unlocking and opening a door and quickly sitting in the car but with my feet still on the ground, I can feel the car rise up, just as if it is girding it's loins ready for the off!! :D

Hi Peter..
I know its not the same thing but my Brother has an old Citroen Xantia with the Hydro suspension..
He has a friend who is nicknamed "Sumo". This friends nickname is EXTREMELY apt !!!
When Sumo gets in my brothers car you can hear the pumps working overtime trying to level up the car..
I have to say overall the Citroen suspension system is excellent and has been totally trouble free for him.
He did have the fluid and filters all replaced on my advice when he first got that car...
Suspension parts are incredibly cheap.. Compared to MB !!!!!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Found memories of a family owned Citroen DS, beautiful car with sublime ride...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I had 8 CX's Safaries, fabulous cars in every way. I only had trouble with one of them, I was in London when the suspension sank, and I lost all the brakes. A pipe where it was looped had been chafing on a chassis member and had a hole in it.

I drove it home all down the Edgware Road to Hemel Hempstead slowly just using the parking brake. I found some Copper pipe left over from my old RR and sleeved the pipe just using a soldering torch, filled up, bled and all was perfect again. I used that one when I first went to Sweden with a huge box trailer.

I did have a DS 23, and that too was a great car other than the wafer thin body panels.

Last edited:

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
I think it is the car trying to level itself after the driver and or passengers get out.

I assume that the reduced weight after the driver gets out would cause the car to lean over so the car reduces the amount of air in the appropriate strut.

I'm think on my old land rover defender the driver's side spring was either slightly longer or had a different spring rate.

Adam

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Doesn't that just prove you can have a supple ride with class leading suspension without it costing £1000 a corner..
My brother got his Xantia 2 years ago and we went to an Indy who specialized in them..
He told us the spheres were only about £30 each and his car had 6 of them..
Some of the fancier Citroens have 8 or even 10 but its still a cheap do compared to Mercedes..
If I am honest I wouldn't say the ride in his car is any worse than mine !!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the citroens did have awfully soggy soft seats though, i seem to remember (from the days of the ZX/AX/BX era's and even the few newer ones (saxo's and xantia's) ive been in had the same 'problem'

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
I owned a Citroen Xantia. It was one of my happiest periods of car ownership. :) Although not new when I got it, the car was totally reliable.

Even after I bought a brand new BMW, back in 2002, I hung on to that car for 7 months! I used to get compliments from passengers as to the Xantia's comfort etc. That never happens with my more recent cars even though they are supposedly more upmarket.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I owned a Citroen Xantia. It was one of my happiest periods of car ownership. :) Although not new when I got it, the car was totally reliable.

Even after I bought a brand new BMW, back in 2002, I hung on to that car for 7 months! I used to get compliments from passengers as to the Xantia's comfort etc. That never happens with my more recent cars even though they are supposedly more upmarket.

The handle well too and are more sporting to drive than the older generations?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom