IS THE OFFER STILL OPEN "McLAREN"

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL 500.W216 + C300 Coupe AMG Line 2018
I know this is a long shot.
Many years ago late 1970s i bought an as new Porsche 928 auto, dark blue/green metallic from a London Dealer.
I wanted to check the history and millage so looked in the log book and the previous owner was McLaren.:D
I got ther phone number and called them, a very friendly and affable chap answered the phone, He knew all about the 928 i bought and verified the millage,history, etc etc.
We talked all about the 928 for about 5 minutes finally i thanked him for his time and when i was about to ring off he said Why dont you come to the British Grand Prix, you can come in the pit and see how it all works and to phone this number if i wanted to go....I was out of the country at the time of the British GP and unfortunately could not make it:(

Do McLaren look at our MBO,Forms, was it "you" i talked to, was it Ron?

Am i a bit late to take up your most kind offer......:D:D:D:D

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Why don't you give them a call! It's worth the price of the phone call if nothing else!

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They would probley tell to sod off, I may give them a try, the one thing i remember the person i talked to at McLaren was so passionate about cars.
The trouble is it was so long ago.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Ron Dennis didnt take over at McLaren until 1980 when he merged his Project 4 racing team with Mansour Ojjeih's TAG group and purchased McLaren. So I doubt it was him.

Could have been Teddy Meyer though!!

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is Teddy Meyer still at McLaren,

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Ron Dennis didnt take over at McLaren until 1980 when he merged his Project 4 racing team with Mansour Ojjeih's TAG group and purchased McLaren.

Hence why the cars monikers all start with MP4 (McLaren Project 4)

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
If you still have the Porsche, you might have a chance. Maybe more so.
If you dont, i would forget it.

But if you think thats bad, after aptitude tests and interviews to be a car mechanic apprentice at Tourist Trophy and Swain & Jones I received a letter for interview at mclaren.
I was already begining to have doubts about life as a grease monkey.
When I got there (old site) I saw the entrance gate with a big cheap rusty (yellow??) sign above it, in what looked like a trading estate for scrap yards.
I thought to myself, I come all this way (about 15miles) to this 'sh**-hole' .....and drove away.
Lucky for them I suppose ;)

tonybubble

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
430 CLK Convertible x2
If you still have the Porsche, you might have a chance. Maybe more so.
If you dont, i would forget it.

But if you think thats bad, after aptitude tests and interviews to be a car mechanic apprentice at Tourist Trophy and Swain & Jones I received a letter for interview at mclaren.
I was already begining to have doubts about life as a grease monkey.
When I got there (old site) I saw the entrance gate with a big cheap rusty (yellow??) sign above it, in what looked like a trading estate for scrap yards.
I thought to myself, I come all this way (about 15miles) to this 'sh**-hole' .....and drove away.

Some time before R.D. took over I would wager. :)

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde

They built the F1 road car on that site after they moved further up the road to the newer facility (still well before they moved to the latest purpose-built spaceship). I went on a tour back in the day. The premises looked pretty much like you say.

Until you got inside. ;)

OP
S

shine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, Steve. Sad to hear that Teddy passed away. You seem very knowlegable in what went on behind the scenes at McLaren, were you into motor racing scene back in those days?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom