Is there a way to identify which NOX sensor has failed?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thankyou.

My car is booked in tomorrow for the £ 192 diagnostic. I already know it's the nox sensor. I've had the car just under 3 years and this will be the 3rd nox sensor the car has had in my time. It may well have had a replacement before I bought it as it was 18 months old at that time.

I will report back tomorrow on what MB tell me.
Just don't let them try and say last time it was the other NOx sensor....

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Truly baffled as to why they are pushing the line that there are two nox sensors.
Maybe because your service advisor is actually clueless about cars?
For example, mine was booked in for the air bag recall, I asked if they could enable Android Auto in my car while it was there as at the time I believed it was simply a software update. The service advisor said I'll phone you back, when she did she said she had spoken to the parts dept and they had never heard of Android Auto so it could not be done! I'd have better luck talking to my dog!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2017 W205
Update as promised:

Took the car in this morning to MB for the diagnostic check and they rang me shortly after to confirm it is the nox sensor. I had already told them that but I accept they need to corroborate the fault with their own diagnostics system.

They will replace the nox sensor FREE OF CHARGE subject to the part being available (there is a waiting time) but they insist on charging me for the diagnostics at £ 192.

Does anyone think I am being unrealistic in expecting them to have waived the diagnostics charge??

The woman didn't give me any answers at all really. I asked why the sensor keeps failing and all she would tell me was that the part had a "defect". When I asked her to elaborate and to tell me how long do they expect the replacement part to last she told me to ring Customer Services.

When I baulked at the prospect of paying £ 192 for a defective part sourced and fitted by MB she ........told me to ring Customer Services

I explained to them (quite forcibly) that MB were profiteering from this known issue but the woman I was talking with was clearly working to a scripted response she had been fed by her superiors and so wasn't deviating from the "ring customer services" line.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think they are bang out of order charging for diagnostics on a replaced part that has already failed several times.
I'd be mentioning the Ombudsman and VOSA given the repeated failures. If VOSA get involved they will investigate the need for recalls on it if it's a common complaint.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We do not charge diagnostics for existing customers. Personally I would be peed off if I was charged to diagnose a faulty part already replaced by mb and they said it was covered by warranty.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2017 W205
We do not charge diagnostics for existing customers. Personally I would be peed off if I was charged to diagnose a faulty part already replaced by mb and they said it was covered by warranty.
My car is out of warranty now and the woman told me that parts are only covered for 12 months but yet they are replacing the sensor FOC even though it is 15 months since the last one failed.

There is no consistency in what they are saying. This is the same woman who told me over the phone that there are two nox sensors for my vehicle when there is actually only one.

Thanks for the moral support guys. I didn't want to go diving into a complaint if others felt I was being unreasonable

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Yes, but they would need to diagnose first to see if it is that part, then I would expect them to reimburse the diags fee, or make someting up to the unwise customer,

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can see charging for diagnostics if it's not the same part that's failed but to charge for diagnostics for the same part is a bit off in my view.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2017 W205
Yes, but they would need to diagnose first to see if it is that part, then I would expect them to reimburse the diags fee, or make someting up to the unwise customer,
I don't have any issue at all with them wanting to run it through their own diagnostics.

It's wrong of them to take money from customers, to determine that the EML is down to a defective MB part. Customers should not be out of pocket from their cock up.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I don't have any issue at all with them wanting to run it through their own diagnostics.

It's wrong of them to take money from customers, to determine that the EML is down to a defective MB part. Customers should not be out of pocket from their cock up.
Thats why they should reimburse the diags fee. Thats the second part or did Inmiss something.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2017 W205
Further update:

After I sent a rather lengthy email to the After Sales Manager I have now received a response confirming that they will refund me the diagnostics charge.

It's a result but not a satisfactory one as the goodwill damage has already been done and I wonder how many other customers don't argue their point as forcibly as I have.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good result. Just a pity that the customer service was missing.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have now received a response confirming that they will refund me the diagnostics charge.

It's a result but not a satisfactory one as the goodwill damage has already been done and I wonder how many other customers don't argue their point as forcibly as I have.
I was in the same position and Mercedes refuse to contribute anything, so I have signed up to................................

If Mercedes will not be fair with their customers, they deserve class actions like this one.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2017 W205
I was in the same position and Mercedes refuse to contribute anything, so I have signed up to................................

If Mercedes will not be fair with their customers, they deserve class actions like this one.
You see that kind of inconsistency drives me absolutely nuts.

If this was recent I would ask for an email address and ask them to confirm in writing why they rejected your claim. Give them enough of a scent that this could go legal and anything they put in writing could be used in a court of law against them

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You see that kind of inconsistency drives me absolutely nuts.

If this was recent I would ask for an email address and ask them to confirm in writing why they rejected your claim. Give them enough of a scent that this could go legal and anything they put in writing could be used in a court of law against them
This was very recent and involved two seperate cars, Mercedes refuse to give a reason.
Without going in to all the deatails, I've had to pay £3500 to repair two cars, one 2017 SLC300 with 10,000 miles on the clock and a 2016 C250d with 34,000 miles.
One things for sure, I thought I was unlucky that my CLK began to rust when only 4 years old, although Mercedes resprayed it, it was as bad as ever at 6 years old and had to be done again, and at 10 years old it returned again, Mercedes lost interest by then which meant I had to sell for next to nothing.
But to have two more recent models require thousands in repairs at such low mileages, and Mercedes not interested, even the dealer appears embarrassed and gave me a discounted parts invoice when Mercedes would not contribute, I vow to never buy another.

I've remained loyal to Mercedes, buy got nothing back from them in return.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom