Is this Amplifier water damaged? CL500 C216 2009

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
Not ideal as you would have to remember to empty the 500ml tank. Quite frequently.
If you are going to the trouble of installing that then it would not be too much more work to replace the water tank with a length of hose which is routed out through the side vents so the water is deposited outside.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If you are going to the trouble of installing that then it would not be too much more work to replace the water tank with a length of hose which is routed out through the side vents so the water is deposited outside.

Good point, you cant replace the tank as its removable and the top of the tank is a fluted collector .
But I could put a drain tube into it.

Actually sod , it I would definitely just go for the full Mercedes extended warranty.
You are always going to have at least a £1000 repairs on these big motors. So just get them to replace it with a new one :):):)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Well I am not at all surprised.
I have found out why they fail.
It rained hard for 2 days.
I opened the boot. And guess what!
View attachment 41926
I found 7 water droplets on the arm hatched in Red. As the boot opened, they ran down to the bottom.
All the boot seals were perfect. The area in green was bone dry.

see one of my earlier posts.....

"it sits in a miserable area of the inner wing with rain water falling off the boot in 25ml puddles each time its opened in the rain. it falls NOT actually straight on to the amp... but on to the water catch tray in the inner wing trim's...."

with the boot trim in place it catches the water, it has a bucket that catches it built in !!!!
without the boot trim yes it literally runs in to the AMP

IT FAILS BECAUSE THEY DESIGNED IT TO DIE AND NO OTHER REASON

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
But when the original amp lost sound, then the display didn't just drop names it dropped ANY display (name or numbers and had a stored MOST fibre drop out)

code was

D102 MOST component at position 2 reports open ring

My car has the AMP, TV & DAB all on fibre plus the command unit with its Sat Nav. Not had any MOST code before or since. Of course its had half a million others of any variety you can think of!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
code was

D102 MOST component at position 2 reports open ring

My car has the AMP, TV & DAB all on fibre plus the command unit with its Sat Nav. Not had any MOST code before or since. Of course its had half a million others of any variety you can think of!

I was perplexed that it had no STAR faults , current of stored even though it was hissing like a cobra at the time.
But then for some reason my MBII wont read the Command at all. :-/

All the other screens and operations seem to work.

Anyway all boxed up and ready for UPS tomorrow.

Riva

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 BlueEfficiency/2010/M278
Having similar issues when it rains - well now i lost all audio. Trying to figure out how to remove the rear panel of the boot for the time being :D
What was wrong? Was the board water damaged?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
they just go wrong....

you need to pop the trim around the boot catch off (tight little thing), then the panel at the back of the boot pulls out, grab a corner and pull one side out (no fixings), lift out the trim over the spare wheel and the side trim just pulls out (give or take a few obvious cargo net trip bits to unscrew and the boot light in the top corner)

I have so much faith in the build quality.... I never bothered refitting the boot trim in 4 years, so I can get at the battery and the amp without the 2 hour fight

Riva

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 BlueEfficiency/2010/M278
they just go wrong....

you need to pop the trim around the boot catch off (tight little thing), then the panel at the back of the boot pulls out, grab a corner and pull one side out (no fixings), lift out the trim over the spare wheel and the side trim just pulls out (give or take a few obvious cargo net trip bits to unscrew and the boot light in the top corner)

I have so much faith in the build quality.... I never bothered refitting the boot trim in 4 years, so I can get at the battery and the amp without the 2 hour fight
Managed to access it, don't see any water yet the amplifier refuses to work. I detached it for a good 5 minutes and-reattached it just in case.
As you said they just go wrong.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I think as our cars get older, we must expect more and more ofthe sensitive electronics to stop working. I am just glad mine starts in the morning and gets me to work.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Managed to access it, don't see any water yet the amplifier refuses to work. I detached it for a good 5 minutes and-reattached it just in case.
As you said they just go wrong.

without the trim in place the bucket hidden in the side trim it won't catch the water and 25ml will go straight in the amp when you open the boot in the rain...

seems to be a little trick that tickles some Merc engineer's fancy, my fathers 211 manages to spill about 5 times what a 221 can drain in to the boot (and on a 211 gets you on the head every time...) whereas the 221 just hides it in the hidden bucket... I've never owned a car of any other brand that manages this special feat like a merc does

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom