Is this chart still around - maximum torque

merc07

Reaction score
There was a chart posted a while back, showing the maximum torque each Mercedes auto box was capable of handling, and the box fitted to 220 CDi's was only rated a little more than it had as standard.

I would be wary about increasing torque by 30%, as using it frequently could land you with an expensive auto box repair.

Russ

I did ask this on the end of the original thread but I think it got lost..

Cheers,
Adam

OP
M

merc07

Reaction score
They seem to be for old models ie W202. My W203 seems to have the same box, 722.699 but the standard car puts out 340NM ?

Cheers
Adam

lulu

Reaction score
That's exactly what I discovered for mine. The 330Nm refers to a maximum continuous rating. You're unlikely to be able to achieve that (unless you've got a large banked oval in your back garden and in-flight refuelling). For short periods it can accomodate more.
(It does make you wonder about chipping the diesels with the 330Nm box though!)

OP
M

merc07

Reaction score
(It does make you wonder about chipping the diesels with the 330Nm box though!)

Thanks that is the reason I was asking. My economy box gives about 365Nm max (+25Nm) and at top revs the same 150bhp as standard.

I have been thinking about a remap as apparantly the gear shift points can also be altered. Again this would be just a subtle eco map.

The C270cdi uses a different autobox and at standard that engine puts out just 370Nm so like you said it makes you wander what the 330Nm box will take. Maybe not flat out but in 'Normal day to day driving conditions'

Cheers
Adam

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There must be room for a little more torque, and we have talked about it many times, I do not think that I would increase it by much,even though the chipping boys say that it is fine. If I sold hot cross buns, I would say that mine were the best, what do you do. MB use a different box on all of the models

On the 203 the 200 cdi and the 220 cdi use the same box,so nothing wrong in taking a 200 up to a 220 output

lulu

Reaction score
Thanks that is the reason I was asking. My economy box gives about 365Nm max (+25Nm) and at top revs the same 150bhp as standard.

I have been thinking about a remap as apparantly the gear shift points can also be altered. Again this would be just a subtle eco map.

Let me know how you get on. I chickened out as soon as I saw 340Nm engine vs 330Nm box.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom