Is this LIMP mode?.

E320_CDi

Reaction score
Guys - I have a w reg Year 2000 E320, on 2 occasions, the car's engine has started to rev at 3000 and it wont go more than 40mph. I stopped the cra, turned the engine off for 2mins, and it was normal again. 2nd time this happened, I was setting of at the lights. Could the ATF needs changing or is ti something else. thanks

The Rock

Reaction score
Sounds like it.

I had this a few times until I cleaned the MAF sensor. All has been fine since. Loads of posts on here about MAF sensors and cleaning.

Initially I unplugged the wire from the MAF sensor and the car just ran like a non-turbo - slow to pull away but fine at 70mph. That's how I new my problem was MAF sensor related. STAR said it was the EGR valve, which I replaced, but that didn't sort the problem out.

Good Luck,

Rock

Last edited:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
You'll probably find you don't need to wait 2 mins. Off-On will sort it. If so, then yes - safe/limp mode - probably the MAF but always better to get a diagnostic done.

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Guys - I have a w reg Year 2000 E320, on 2 occasions, the car's engine has started to rev at 3000 and it wont go more than 40mph. I stopped the cra, turned the engine off for 2mins, and it was normal again. 2nd time this happened, I was setting of at the lights. Could the ATF needs changing or is ti something else. thanks

Get the ATF level checked first (cheaper option). Had similar problem when pulling away, lost all drive or would only stay in first gear until i stopped turned off engine and restarted, would then run ok for a few miles. I changed g/box oil and filter and have had no problems since.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is a cure for this locking up problem, its on the site somewhere, plagues a lot of cars.

OP
E

E320_CDi

Reaction score
Hi.. Thanks for the replies. Is it possible for the limp mode / MAF sensor problem to cause a reduction in MPG ??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The MAF sets up the fueling for the correct fuel-air ratio, though the MAF seldom puts the car in the limp home mode, but it can

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom