Is warranty price negotiable?

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
So come October, my car will be 3 years old, and out of manufacturer's warranty. I'm considering the MB Tier 2 warranty among others. I know it's pricy, but it gives a good level of cover. Question is, does anyone know if the price is negotiable if I go to a dealer, or is it fixed by MB UK and that's end of.

While we're at it, same question about Service Plans

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
So come October, my car will be 3 years old, and out of manufacturer's warranty. I'm considering the MB Tier 2 warranty among others. I know it's pricy, but it gives a good level of cover. Question is, does anyone know if the price is negotiable if I go to a dealer, or is it fixed by MB UK and that's end of.

Ask them, I can't imagine there is a set discount available but they can only say no if you ask.
There are other warranty suppliers who will negotiate and its been discussed on here.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Ask them, I can't imagine there is a set discount available but they can only say no if you ask.
There are other warranty suppliers who will negotiate and its been discussed on here.

Exactly, you won't know if you don't ask !! :)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
EVERYTHING is negotiable, MB Dealerships, like any other retailer have competitors, use them in your discussions.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As far as I know the price is determined by what mileage you do in the vehicle so there must be some wiggle room. My son enquired about extending the warranty when he bought his 2 year old E Class and was told by MB to come back when the car was approaching the end of the manufacturer’s warranty (it had a year to run) and that the price would vary depending on use, it will certainly be an interesting conversation when he does contact them in August he does about 20k miles a year

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It’s a bit of a gamble, I’ve never ever extended the warranty on any of my Mercedes (or other cars). I’ve kept details of all my costs and I’ve never paid out more in repairs than the warranty would have cost.

Perhaps I’ve been lucky but as my luck in other areas tends to be poor I doubt I’ve been car lucky. The warranty seller (be that Mercedes or any of the others) are in business to make money and they wouldn’t be if they consistently paid out more in warranty claims than they receive in revenue.

Aftermarket warranties appear to be less than useless based on members threads on this forum. What they don’t cover is about anything that ever might fail even though the weasel words appear to cover said item when you’re buying the policy.

The service plans can be interesting in that you can “win” against Mercedes own servicing costs depending upon when ATF changes are due. Although there’s been a number of threads on here where the dealers say service work is required until they discover the member is on a service plan and then they suddenly realise they’ve made a terrible mistake sir and it wasn’t required after all. However if sir would like to come back once the service plan is expired they’d be more than happy to undertake the recommended work...

With one of our indies on this forum I’m confident that you’d win over any service plan by getting them to undertake the services instead.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Put the money in a savings account and find a decent indy near you (where are you based)

This is what I usually do with Mercedes and most other stuff.

The exception was on the Lexus as I got a good deal on a 2 year warranty. I know of no independents for Lexus round here and, if something does go wrong, it's usually an expensive fix

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d

I think you will find that MB no longer offer the Tier 1/Tier 2 choice of warranties. It has been "enhanced" and is now just a single offering which, incidentally, excludes wear and tear at all mileages. At least, that is how I read it.

OP
B

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Thanks for the input folks. I still have a few months to mull it over, and some useful opinions here. I have considered just putting some money aside "just in case" and after checking, the price Mercedes quite for a service plan works out about £460 a service so even if it's B - A - B, unlikely to make much difference.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The price Mercedes quite for a service plan works out about £460 a service so even if it's B - A - B, unlikely to make much difference.

May be worth using a service plan as the car will require ATF change at 4 years old and brake fluid (every 2 years), both are costly items

You can use this link to work out the cost of your next service

https://www.mymercedesservice.co.uk/#/your-vehicle

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sometimes there are discount deals on service plans. My E63 was on one at £41 a month- included an ATF change on the second service so it truly paid for itself as JB mentions.
I did have Mercedes Tier 1 warranty at £1050 for the year, and £250 excess, for me personally peace of mind with a motor of that ilk which if anything went wrong would be hugely expensive.
Typically in the 2 years I had it it was completely bombproof, so money not well spent you could say. Those who know me on here will know the other side of my particular coin though...:rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sometimes there are discount deals on service plans. My E63 was on one at £41 a month- included an ATF change on the second service so it truly paid for itself as JB mentions.
I did have Mercedes Tier 1 warranty at £1050 for the year, and £250 excess, for me personally peace of mind with a motor of that ilk which if anything went wrong would be hugely expensive.
Typically in the 2 years I had it it was completely bombproof, so money not well spent you could say. Those who know me on here will know the other side of my particular coin though...:rolleyes:
You're just lucky John :rolleyes::D

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I have today purchased an extended Mercedes warranty online.

For the year on an E350 S212 at around 19,000 miles it cost £499, no excess to pay.

I thought this seemed reasonable, there is a largish list of exclusions but to be fair they were all wear and tear items and nothing seemed out of the way.

My car is approaching 3 years old and has had no faults.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I have today purchased an extended Mercedes warranty online.

For the year on an E350 S212 at around 19,000 miles it cost £499, no excess to pay.

I thought this seemed reasonable, there is a largish list of exclusions but to be fair they were all wear and tear items and nothing seemed out of the way.

My car is approaching 3 years old and has had no faults.

Robin

Extremely reasonable Robin

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Put the money in a savings account and find a decent indy near you (where are you based)
Took your advice last year, mine's booked in for a B service with Avantgarde on the 26th, is it sad to be excited about a car service??

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Extremely reasonable Robin

Yes John I thought so £499 does not buy much for these cars even if using an Indy.

Just one small issue with transmission etc can easily cost far more and it’s more for peace of mind really.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Took your advice last year, mine's booked in for a B service with Avantgarde on the 26th, is it sad to be excited about a car service??

Nope, and you may get to look at Steves SLR

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Nope, and you may get to look at Steves SLR
lol, I had a look last year during the wheel alignment, very nice indeed. Maybe that will be the courtesy car?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom