Isn't autumn wonderful! (if you don't own an SL)

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
www.cypruspropertyvillas.com
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Britain looks its best as the greenery takes on all the autumn colours. Unfortunately if you own an old SL the distributor seems to get damp and cut out as regularly as the leaves start to fall from the trees, and at almost the same time.

Monday was October 1st and I knew I was tempting fate when I set off, as we had been on holiday so the car had sat out in the rain unusued for more than 2 weeks. Sure enough as I pulled into the car park six miles later the car started missing. Before I set off home I pulled the distributor cap and gave it a wipe, after confirming it was covered in condensation. The clean was a bit too cursory, because 20 yards from home it cut out again, and I needed a neighbour's help to get it onto the drive.

Today, with the sun shining, I have given it a more thorough seeing-to - thorough clean, hose-down with WD40, reclean.

Two questions for the clever technical folks here, please.

The back plate on which the rotor arm is mounted has a lot of play in it. Is that normal, or is it related to point two?

The rotor arm itself I was planning to take off, but hit a problem. It seemed to be secured by two small rusty nuts with holes, while the third was missing, with just a snapped off bolt head protruding. I tried a star-shaped (torx?) screwdriver on one of the nuts and it turned, but instantly snapped off, leaving me nothing to secure onto.

The rotor arm seems rock solid, so I assume it's a push fit with these three little things for added security. I decided not to risk the third one, and cleaned around it. But should I have the workshop look at it asap?

Meanwhile I left the engine running on the drive for half an hour, then ran it round the block, and all seems fine.

Isn't autumn lovely?

Jon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could be an idea to rub PTFE or Silicon on the rotor arm and cap, it is totally non conductive and could help, there are normal spray sealers but moisture can eventually get underneath

OP
J

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Thanks Malcolm

I am resigned to a regular clean out of the cap now, if only for peace of mind. Any thoughts on the back plate, part no. 1230 500 238?

Jon

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Your lucky you don't have mechanical point to contend with. You wouldn't be so chuffed with autumn if we had those again.

But very pleased your enjoying the autumnal weather.
I hate it. Shorts packed away :( ready for the two weeks of summer next year and already seeing the crevices begin to collect leaves and other detritus.
Soon be back to thick coats and freezing mornings.

If anyone reads this, living in a warm land of plenty, please send for me.

OP
J

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
I hate the cold, but I do have the advantage that my villa rental business will take me to Cyprus for a couple of weeks in November, for more sunshine than an August fortnight usually delivers here.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the part here
index.php

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
I hate the cold, but I do have the advantage that my villa rental business will take me to Cyprus for a couple of weeks in November, for more sunshine than an August fortnight usually delivers here.

Lucky you :rolleyes:
Well if you want someone to trust out there all the time your not there, what ever needs doing, pm me. And I'm NOT joking.

Fleetwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005. SL350

And I'm off to the Maldives next week :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
017 1041580088 COVER , no part for the rotor arm

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom