It Official!

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
If you assume all right is on his side and all wrong is on the other side, then yes. But just suppose for a moment that it may not be?

I never said he was right, that's for a judge to decide, but if the end result goes the way of Robert, and MB are proved to be in the wrong, then that would be the precedent set for somebody else to follow should they have a similar disaster.

I think it's a good thing for Joe Public to make a stand against big conglomerates if he really thinks he's in the right.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I think it's a good thing for Joe Public to make a stand against big conglomerates if he really thinks he's in the right.

I would agree with that but I would also support what Hawk is saying in that it is sometimes better to cut your losses, re-engage with life and move on.

We as a family have had to do just that having been 'fighting' this government and two of its agency's for more than 8 years. It is never an easy decision but when such a matter becomes all consuming and starts to affect health, sanity and relationships then just sometimes you have to call a halt, doing just that is nothing to be ashamed of.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I would agree with that but I would also support what Hawk is saying in that it is sometimes better to cut your losses, re-engage with life and move on.

I do agree, and most of the time it's the best thing to do, but once in a while you get somebody like Robert who comes along and has the strength and determination to get what's owed to him.

I've done the same in the past and won battles with BT and Royal Mail, not just to prove a point, but because I knew I was right and I had substantial financial gain in both instances.

Sometimes fighting is the right thing to do, even if it's only because you're hacked off being walked over.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just clearing up one point here, with electronic and reverse connections,,this results in instant death, there is no in between where something is weakened, it either works or it does not.

In this case that car was driven onto the recovery vehicle, there fore no reverse jump start had take place up to that point. From that point on in was out of Roberts hands. Even if the recovery man jump started it to get it onto the lorry, he did it correctly or it would not have driven on. From that point on it was out of Roberts hands. For MB Chelsea to come back some time later and say that the car had been reverse connected was wrong as Roberts sister had see it being driven onto the recovery truck.

What we do not know is, was the car jump started to get it off of the truck, the guy could have made a mistake in getting the car off the lorry, after he tried there would have been a small flash as he connected up, not room up there for two people and these guys are used to working alone, and the lorries are made for one man operation. So now he takes the car off with the winch, and says here you are MB Chelsea, one car that will not start, or did he even tell anyone, I do not think that he did tell anyone, so MB get a car with all of the electrics blown, they would give the lorry driver more credit than they would have given Robert, and here we are today

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
You, by contrast seem to be certain and clearly on one side.

My certainty comes from the FACT that a county court judge found against Mercedes. That's good enough for me but clearly you find it unbearable that Mercedes could hav edone any wrong. You seem keen to usurp the judicial system.

Oh, and Malcom's clarity above is welcome - I'm an electrical and electronic engineer by training and reversing polarity doesn't cause these things to fail in a partial way, they just fail. Although a decent system would be protected against reverse polarity.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Although a decent system would be protected against reverse polarity.

No protection system is possible as all car of most makes have a wake up circuit, this runs via the CAN and everything is connected to it, and is live at all times, this is why the cars will always have a higher drain on the battery than those made in the 8o's

OP
robertjrt

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500L 2001, gone but, never forgotten
We as a family have had to do just that having been 'fighting' this government and two of its agency's for more than 8 years.

Government Agency, now there is a beast that needs slaying.

The sheer incompetence, lack of common sense, and the bureaucratic labyrinth of these alleged "organisations" takes one's breath away.

As a student of political history it never fails to fascinated me of how the governments over the millennium has change, adapted, become resilient to change, just like a virus in the body of its host.

It is difficult for an "outsider" to comprehend an organisation who's whole purpose is just to exist and who have in place a culture of mediocrity with an in built agenda to resist change and acquire more and more power preferably through Statutory Instruments.

There are so many examples there is not enough time to list them all, one only has to look at our troops dieing in Afghanistan for the want of equipment and what about the Civil Servant who informed the Government that only an estimated 13,000 workers from Poland were likely to come here?

The thing is, when one meets individuals, face to face, a lot of them are likable people, who you can enjoy a conversation with and too whom you can
personally relate, thats the paradox.

You have to play them at their own game and always remember, there is an Achilles heel in there somewhere, you just need to find it.

I played Camden Council like a violin, when I was asked what sort of accommodation I was seeking, I replied; A one bedroom flat in a purpose built block with a balcony and view. It was like pressing the big red button, it took me 18 months to finally move into my flat here in Covent Garden, but, it was worth it. Know your enemy first, hold your ground, always be reasonable, never lose your temper, grind them down, show no mercy, keep going back to the original premise and if that does not work, go on holiday, have a rest and try again. I am just back from Paris, fully refreshed.:D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Just noticed my new handle - I like it Robert

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Government Agency, now there is a beast that needs slaying.

I am just back from Paris, fully refreshed.:D

We are delighted to hear it - and I am sure that MB UK will be too.

As for Government Agencies, just remember two things:

1. there is no shortage of "guidelines", but unhappily, these are construed as rules
  2. no one seems to have the initiative or the imagination to work around these "rules" so they are taken literally - usually to prevent something happening.
Remember, "rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Anon.

But hang on, they were guidelines to begin with!??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
robertjrt

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just clearing up one point here, with electronic and reverse connections,,this results in instant death, there is no in between where something is weakened, it either works or it does not.

What we do not know is, was the car jump started to get it off of the truck, the guy could have made a mistake in getting the car off the lorry, after he tried there would have been a small flash as he connected up, not room up there for two people and these guys are used to working alone, and the lorries are made for one man operation. So now he takes the car off with the winch, and says here you are MB Chelsea, one car that will not start, or did he even tell anyone, I do not think that he did tell anyone, so MB get a car with all of the electrics blown, they would give the lorry driver more credit than they would have given Robert, and here we are today

The evidence of the Recovery Companies Manager was " the vehicle was unloaded in the road outside MB Wandsworth and driven into the parking space indicated". I think this is when the Judge asked "why are we here", yes, why were we?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No protection system is possible as all car of most makes have a wake up circuit, this runs via the CAN and everything is connected to it, and is live at all times, this is why the cars will always have a higher drain on the battery than those made in the 8o's

Ah - they don't make 'em like they used to. :)

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
My certainty comes from the FACT that a county court judge found against Mercedes. That's good enough for me but clearly you find it unbearable that Mercedes could hav edone any wrong. You seem keen to usurp the judicial system.

You are pathetic. Read my earlier posts.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are pathetic. Read my earlier posts.

Poor effort. Please try harder with your replies in future or I'll have to find something else to do.

OP
robertjrt

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The reason behind my refusal to kowtow to Mercedes-Benz was the sheer effrontery of expecting me to pay for something that I did not do.

Thats it in a nutshell:)

The further I went down this well worn path the more interesting it became too me, I wondered where the path would end and how many before me had reached the end?

The problem MB had is that I refused to settle for less that I was due, I think it only fair given the circumstances.

The money is only a secondary consideration, I have enough for my needs, its the principal, I will give willingly, but, nobody steals from me.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its the principal, I will give willingly, but, nobody steals from me.

Hear hear. And I take it even more badly when people try to steal from my family.
Both my daughters have suffered attempted ripoffs by franchised dealers servicing their cars. The really annoying thing is that they'd just shrug and pay up, which I guess is what the dealers rely on.

A Mitsubishi dealer twice (2 different people) quoted £150 for a service on daughter's Colt and then cheerfully presented a bill for £200 and had absolutely no idea where £150 could possibly have come from.
We had World War 3 in the showroom about that. I was looking forward to their call reminding me about the next service but funnily enough they didn't call. So they're not that stupid.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just reminding folk reading this post that the actual cost to MB would have been no more than £1000 for the parts, this being the cost price of the parts, and no profit made on them. The £110 to £150 that MB charge for labour in London would more than cover this for the fitting of the parts on jobs that do not go well.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Malcolm are you insinuating that MB dealers are ripping people off..tut,tut..

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
We had World War 3 in the showroom about that. I was looking forward to their call reminding me about the next service but funnily enough they didn't call. So they're not that stupid.

Typically understated Rory, if I may say so!

I recall a series of events relating to my first ever "new car" - an MGB. This culminated in an episode where the service manager was seen leaving the building by a rear door as I entered by the front!

They do seem to take a lot of latitude if they can get off with it, but they also seem to practice their survival skills when things are not going well!!

OP
robertjrt

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Typically understated Rory, if I may say so!

I recall a series of events relating to my first ever "new car" - an MGB. This culminated in an episode where the service manager was seen leaving the building by a rear door as I entered by the front!

They do seem to take a lot of latitude if they can get off with it, but they also seem to practice their survival skills when things are not going well!!

What makes me smile is the way the person who is trying to "take advantage" takes umbrage when you refuse to do so.

I found a car years ago for a neighbours lad, a Renault 4, cheap as chips, when he took it in for an MOT he was told is was not an economical repair, his mum was none to pleased with me, so, I took the car myself to an MOT station where a 2nd hand tyre was all that was needed, the lesson, be carefully who you do a faviour for.

When my daughters cars were due for a service/MOT, I did the deed, I am not sure if the girls knew where the oil, water and air went, despite endeavoring to teach them, "why should I bother Dad, you know where it all goes".:shock:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
When my daughters cars were due for a service/MOT, I did the deed, I am not sure if the girls knew where the oil, water and air went, despite endeavoring to teach them, "why should I bother Dad, you know where it all goes".:shock:

That's what dads are for and of course the occasional 'cash cow';):lol::lol:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom