It's a bit sad when...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
For some reason my father had a "set" of Jump leads that had on the positive side a really chunky welding cable on the negative it was as heavy as some tin foil wrapped in plastic bags.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Perhaps he was cold...

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Most tabulated values of the current carrying capacity of any cable assumes 100% of Full Load Current used continuously, but as you can see from the enclosed Data Sheet cable size can be de-rated for intermittent use. I suspect that as 70mm² Welding Cable is the most popular in use on construction sites this is what is commonly used to DIY?, from the Data Sheet @ 60% this will happily carry 460A, big enough to start a main battle tank I would think? Whereas a 16/25mm² cable carrying 175/230A respectively would be adequate for most. The values in the Datasheet are specific to Welding Cables and no other.

Attachments

• BS638_Part4_WELDING_CABLE_Single_Core_Page_75.pdf
    581.3 KB · Views: 2

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
yup!!!!! i remember when they launched variable height suspension on LR in kenya ,did a run around the national parks ,came back up the Mombasa rd all tipped on one side as most of the pipes had chaffed thru when off road. just imagine how this latest rubbish will perform . chelsea tractor thats all.. best off roader G wagon,next best L cruiser both pre 1990 and all the electronic crap, i have some idea ,having done the africa bush thing for 30 odd yrs.

I did 1000s of km in a 200 Series LandCruiser in OZ. Most of that mileage was on dirt roads, off-road & beaches pulling a heavy offroad caravan.

I only had one problem with it (driver error) when I got mud (yep first rains in 15 years) in the alternator while crossing the Simpson Desert. It was not a job that could be sorted by me - luckily I had a petrol generator and was able to use my CTEK to charge the batteries overnight (2 nights) and get to Birdsville where the sorted it for me.

On the whole it was a very reliable car and never gave any problems.

OTOH my dad had a LR that we regularly used to go to the Okavango in the 60/70s and it was forever breaking down but.....we could repair it in the bush! Simpson Desert_0579-1-1.jpg Simpson Desert_0572-1-1.jpg

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
yup!!!!! i remember when they launched variable height suspension on LR in kenya ,did a run around the national parks ,came back up the Mombasa rd all tipped on one side as most of the pipes had chaffed thru when off road. just imagine how this latest rubbish will perform . chelsea tractor thats all.. best off roader G wagon,next best L cruiser both pre 1990 and all the electronic crap, i have some idea ,having done the africa bush thing for 30 odd yrs.

I've done that trip in a Peugeot 504 (Masai Mara, Amboseli, Tsavo E&W etc 6 week holiday) and the roads were shocking. The Mombasa to Nairobi road was terrifying with the bad drivers and poor roads. Amazingly we only ripped the exhaust off. My wife was born in Mombasa and my in-laws lived in Nairobi (Karen) for a long time.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
as said lr will get you home... G and LC will do it in comfort with little or no intervention, i spent one weekend in ambosseli pulling Range.R,S and mini buses out of the mud in my G .

Top Bottom