Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks Teabag for all that and nice to know,,I must check on these things

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
A word of warning:
I was with Saga until I had to make a total loss claim for fire damage to my Omega Elite 4 years ago. (smoke and flames from the dashboard whilst driving through town, and I had to stand at a safe distance and watch the car burn while I waited 15 minutes for the fire brigade to attend)

After 4 weeks of waiting for a response to my claim, Saga denied liability as their assessment of the wreckage suggested the fire had been caused by an electrical fault!!!!! (Wow, what else could have caused it???) and they brought to my notice a clause in the policy which stated "we will not pay for repairs to the vehicle for damage caused by failure of mechanical or electrical components".
After a further 10 weeks of haggling (during which time the policy expired) and 2 letters from my solicitor they eventually relented and I was paid "middle book price" for a car which was in pristine condition before the fire.

I put the payment towards my first MB, a W210 E320Cdi which was in the same insurance group as the Omega and as my NCD was protected I did not expect much of a change to the insurance premium of £384.

Shock and horror when Saga quoted me £892 for renewal of my original policy. When I queried this and explained that I had protected my NCD, they told me the NCD had been applied but since my claim, I was now considered to be a higher risk so this was reflected in the cost of the premium.

My response was a few choice words as to where they could shove their quote and I looked elsewhere to insure my car assuming I would be able to transfer my NCD protection to another insurance company.

This was not the case, as I was told by several companies that the protection was only valid if I remained with the same company and I would have to start any new policy from scratch.

I eventually obtained cover for £760 from Ecar Insurance and I have had to rebuild my NCD to a current 4 years: I have recently paid £643 for renewal on my S350, this includes prestige courtesy car, and greenflag breakdown cover, but certainly not NCD protection as I consider this to be a total waste of money.

Thanks for the info re Saga. As I noted in my post, I have no experience of using their claims dept, but if your post is anything to go by, Saga will be dropped next renewal. Cheapest isn't necessarily the best route to go.

One thing though. I did decide to use Saga based on the reviews given about them on the money supermarket website. I also read some negative reports re Swiftcover.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Mine's due on 1st October and the cheapest I can get is £345 with Diva and that's after a £75 cashback.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine's due on 1st October and the cheapest I can get is £345 with Diva and that's after a £75 cashback.

My Kwikfit quote was £365 I think that I will ask MB insurance if they can match it

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
Thanks for the info re Saga. As I noted in my post, I have no experience of using their claims dept, but if your post is anything to go by, Saga will be dropped next renewal. Cheapest isn't necessarily the best route to go.

One thing though. I did decide to use Saga based on the reviews given about them on the money supermarket website. I also read some negative reports re Swiftcover.

It wasn't just their negative response to the claim which annoyed me, it was the reassessment of risk after the the claim was made that totally negated any benefits from protected NCD.

Also to bear in mind is the fact that this was the first claim I have ever made on a motor policy in 38 years and over 1 million miles of car ownership, so they could not consider me to be a high risk customer; I believe they just do not want to deal with anyone with less than a 100% claim free record.

OP
D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I have just found out an interesting snippet in that my insurance gets loaded because of a SP30 conviction (34 in a 30 'Safety Camera' area) the loading varies from insurer to insurer also it appears if I do not put my wife on the policy the quote INCREASES.

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
I have just found out an interesting snippet in that my insurance gets loaded because of a SP30 conviction (34 in a 30 'Safety Camera' area) the loading varies from insurer to insurer also it appears if I do not put my wife on the policy the quote INCREASES.

I've found a few anomalies in the way different companies load similar risks.

eg. £15 per year loading, for keeping the car on the road outside my home at night instead of in the garage, with one company and £120 with another; strange as I live in what is regarded to be a high car crime area of the country.

Also if I were to tell them I work at a different branch of my company, same distance (40 miles away) but in a different direction, my premium would be £35 per year lower; I think this must because my route to work from home would not be on the A19 which is notorious as an accident blackspot.

OP
D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Deal done...

...with Adrian Flux - thanks to DRMW.

Total for fully comp is £189.57

Give them a call it might just be your lucky day:cool:

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I will not go on too much about Saga except to say I hate them with a passion due to them misleading me about insuring a second car some time ago. I've recently moved my C280 V6 insurance from Saga to Hastings and managed to save £205 in the process !

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
it was the reassessment of risk after the the claim was made that totally negated any benefits from protected NCD.

Also to bear in mind is the fact that this was the first claim I have ever made on a motor policy in 38 years and over 1 million miles of car ownership

Sadly Peter, the "risk assessor" (or their computer programme) probably sees this as a trend and classifies it as an "infinite increase" in risk. Yes, I know, it is not logical, or fair.

But the person who has one claim in every 38 years might have his next one in another 38 years, or next week, rather in the same way as the "100 year storm or flood" happens every 100 years on average, but not necessarily in practice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I am with kwikfit now and have saved some £90 The lady told me that I have a very powerful car, and had to check to see if I was safe to handle that,,in spite of my 50 years no claims, and only 1 SP50

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Sadly Peter, the "risk assessor" (or their computer programme) probably sees this as a trend and classifies it as an "infinite increase" in risk. Yes, I know, it is not logical, or fair.

But the person who has one claim in every 38 years might have his next one in another 38 years, or next week, rather in the same way as the "100 year storm or flood" happens every 100 years on average, but not necessarily in practice.

I was told that statistically you're more likely to have another claim within three years of having made one. Statistics..... :rolleyes:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I am with kwikfit now and have saved some £90 The lady told me that I have a very powerful car, and had to check to see if I was safe to handle that,,in spite of my 50 years no claims, and only 1 SP50

Is an SP50 better than an ASBO? :confused:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was told that statistically you're more likely to have another claim within three years of having made one. Statistics..... :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to know if that statistic applied to those who had not had a previous claim, or to the whole tribe, where the average might be one every 3 years?

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
It would be interesting to know if that statistic applied to those who had not had a previous claim, or to the whole tribe, where the average might be one every 3 years?

I don't know, I get the feeling that it's the whole lot.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
More statistics : Apparently people affiliated to forums have a better claims record statisically so insurance companies like them & therefore provide schemes!

Source Chris Knott employee on a different forum. Might be worth bearing in mind next time it's that time again. :)

OP
D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211

SO DO TELL WHEN IS she COMING TO SEE YOU - ;):lol:

Top Bottom