Its that time again...

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Car insurance I mean.

My renewal arrived gone up to £241 for the W210/E240 so made a few calls, 18 to be precise, the most expensive is SAGA (being of a certain age I am in their target market) at £321 which came down to £273 after a very short while! and the 'cheapest' so far is from the MB Club - which I have just joined:D coming in at £219.

So any experience with this insurance supplier?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am searching around to renew this month, the Mercedes renewal has come in at £435,,but that was only for 4k miles per year but I am now doing double that. Kwikfit can do it for £395 including a free MOT that is worth £45 down here.

Do I stick or ask MB if they can include the higher mileage

OP
D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I am searching around to renew this month, the Mercedes renewal has come in at £435,,but that was only for 4k miles per year but I am now doing double that. Kwikfit can do it for £395 including a free MOT that is worth £45 down here.

Do I stick or ask MB if they can include the higher mileage

I would give them a call and ask also tell them that they are dearer, however the Kwikfit free MOT is a worthy freebie.

Interestingly the MB club quote comes in under what I paid last year and there is a loan car in the event of an accident which I did not have last year.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I have a multi car policy with Admiral, which I appreciate may be of no interest to you.

BUT, for 3 cars, 2 of which are quick and the third is fairly new, I pay £767, fully everything, "self and wife only".

I don't believe they come up on the online searches, so perhaps it is worth giving them a call?

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Just renewed mine with Admiral:-

£310 last year became an initial quote of £500 but got it reduced by phone to £440 then added my third car (modded 2.8i Capri) and got Full NCB on ALL 3 cars and protected for £660 (reduced the £440 some more as well).

The 2.8i alone would have been over £500 with 0% NCB.

Still saving for the SL (looked at another one last Friday, HMMM) Surely these garages/sellers would fix any problems before offering the car for sale (e.g. BALD TYRES, WINDSCREEN CHIPS, etc)?

Diggers

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Car insurance I mean.

My renewal arrived gone up to £241 for the W210/E240 so made a few calls, 18 to be precise, the most expensive is SAGA (being of a certain age I am in their target market) at £321 which came down to £273 after a very short while! and the 'cheapest' so far is from the MB Club - which I have just joined:D coming in at £219.

So any experience with this insurance supplier?

Opposite experience for me with Saga. Norwich Union Direct (Aviva now) quoted me for the W210 E280 ,£259 for the wife and me, NCB protected and Saga offered exactly the same incl courtesy car for £163. Even my old Chrysler Neon work car is £125 TPFT. So Saga are OK for me right now. Hopefully I won't have to test their response to a claim.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Opposite experience for me with Saga. Norwich Union Direct (Aviva now) quoted me for the W210 E280 ,£259 for the wife and me, NCB protected and Saga offered exactly the same incl courtesy car for £163. Even my old Chrysler Neon work car is £125 TPFT. So Saga are OK for me right now. Hopefully I won't have to test their response to a claim.

I just tried Saga and they will not qoute,,what do you have that I do not,,or the other way around :D:D

lulu

Reaction score
Saga target themselves at those with a 1.1 litre diesel micro car that wear beige and are hopefully slowing down in life.

I wouldn't describe you as (ever) fitting in that camp.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
when i renewed my insurance in march, i was quoted £750 by Lloyds tsb for my car, aged 33, no garage or anything not factory fitted, and 4 years NCB. a visit to the price comparison sites later and i got the same car etc covered with a lower excess and a hire car if mine ever gets bumped etc for £432 with hastings direct!

OP
D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
when i renewed my insurance in march, i was quoted £750 by Lloyds tsb for my car, aged 33, no garage or anything not factory fitted, and 4 years NCB. a visit to the price comparison sites later and i got the same car etc covered with a lower excess and a hire car if mine ever gets bumped etc for £432 with hastings direct!

Interesting that one TP as I am with 'Hastings Direct' at the moment and they seem reluctant to meet/beat the MB Club quote

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
well they beat the best previous quote by almost £90 for the premium, and i have a £200 excess with them, instead of a £350 excess with other companies!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I just tried Saga and they will not qoute,,what do you have that I do not,,or the other way around :D:D

I got the Saga quote through moneysupermarket.com Malcolm. Just redid the quote using a fictitious name in the same postcode but all my driving details and age and Saga is now £211. The £163 I paid was back in February so perhaps the prices have gone up.

The best quote I get now is with Swiftcover for £167 although my excess is £350 and they quote with £550.

As for what do I have, well it's only a '98 E280 Avantgarde and not a nice SL500 that you have.

Try putting your details into the moneysupermarket.com site and see what you get.

Below are the quotes I got.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mo...&queryid=31739206&userid=az8nKWBez2btqwSEc6b0

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you AMgeed I will do that:D:D

OP
D

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Hastings have just come back with a more competitive quote, in fact within £1 of the best so far - it pays to 'trawl 'em all'

W210/E240 the quote is £218.42 fully comp:cool: now cheaper than last year:shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Once again Kwik fit look the best for me

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Let's hope their insurance is better than their fitting... :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Let's hope their insurance is better than their fitting... :rolleyes:

Just been reading a few reviews and I see that they keep ring to get other quotes

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I have used the likes of Privilege several times, but as a final shot in April I tried adrian flux (broker - www.adrianflux.co.uk). Their quote was impressive - for an SL55 (not garaged at night) about £345 for fully comp, protected nc, lowest excess @ £350 incl £100 voluntary, legal cover - and you talk to a real person. Actual policy is with Royal Sun Alliance - no idea how they manage it, although they have asked (this time & before) if you have any previous experience with silly cars - in my case no problem (quite a few including a TVR Cerbera 4.5 - they don't come much sillier!). Worth a try before you commit :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have used the likes of Privilege several times, but as a final shot in April I tried adrian flux (broker - www.adrianflux.co.uk). Their quote was impressive - for an SL55 (not garaged at night) about £345 for fully comp, protected nc, lowest excess @ £350 incl £100 voluntary, legal cover - and you talk to a real person. Actual policy is with Royal Sun Alliance - no idea how they manage it, although they have asked (this time & before) if you have any previous experience with silly cars - in my case no problem (quite a few including a TVR Cerbera 4.5 - they don't come much sillier!). Worth a try before you commit :)

Yes I will do that on Monday

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI

A word of warning:
I was with Saga until I had to make a total loss claim for fire damage to my Omega Elite 4 years ago. (smoke and flames from the dashboard whilst driving through town, and I had to stand at a safe distance and watch the car burn while I waited 15 minutes for the fire brigade to attend)

After 4 weeks of waiting for a response to my claim, Saga denied liability as their assessment of the wreckage suggested the fire had been caused by an electrical fault!!!!! (Wow, what else could have caused it???) and they brought to my notice a clause in the policy which stated "we will not pay for repairs to the vehicle for damage caused by failure of mechanical or electrical components".
After a further 10 weeks of haggling (during which time the policy expired) and 2 letters from my solicitor they eventually relented and I was paid "middle book price" for a car which was in pristine condition before the fire.

I put the payment towards my first MB, a W210 E320Cdi which was in the same insurance group as the Omega and as my NCD was protected I did not expect much of a change to the insurance premium of £384.

Shock and horror when Saga quoted me £892 for renewal of my original policy. When I queried this and explained that I had protected my NCD, they told me the NCD had been applied but since my claim, I was now considered to be a higher risk so this was reflected in the cost of the premium.

My response was a few choice words as to where they could shove their quote and I looked elsewhere to insure my car assuming I would be able to transfer my NCD protection to another insurance company.

This was not the case, as I was told by several companies that the protection was only valid if I remained with the same company and I would have to start any new policy from scratch.

I eventually obtained cover for £760 from Ecar Insurance and I have had to rebuild my NCD to a current 4 years: I have recently paid £643 for renewal on my S350, this includes prestige courtesy car, and greenflag breakdown cover, but certainly not NCD protection as I consider this to be a total waste of money.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom