I've bought a CLK 320 Cab :)

SteveX

Reaction score
Well, it's been a few years of thinking about them but I finally bought one!

CLK 320 Convertible, metalic blue avantagarde, 1999, 89k on the clock FSH.

Amazingly 48k of those miles was covered by the first owner in the first 18 months! It had three services in that time alone!

It's a little bit of a project, in that there are a few things that need attention, but the condition of the body, smooth drive and price sold it!

Ended up getting it for 3.2k which is in honesty I think a total bargain for how much car it is, tax and MOT as well.

It drove very well on the 90 mile trip home, apart from a slight hiccup when I was around 15 miles away, more of that in a bit.

So, things to do?

- Try to polish up headlight plastic as they are 'milky' / washed out
- clean and waxoyl the arches
- find a new emblem / badge for the top of the auto shifter
- Service it
- Resolve the sticky fore / aft drivers seat motor
- Identify strange limp mode occurrence that happened after an hour of driving
- Replace secondary cats (slight clonk or dull vibration at gently revving when not moving).

After that little lot it's going to be:

- replace alloys with AMG style alloys
- replace audio system
- re-finish leather on steering wheel

That might sound like a bit of a list, but, for a car that is 13 years old I think it's not too bad!

I've just ordered up 12x NGK platinum plugs, 10 litres of 5w40 supergrade oil, and filters. I'll be doing that before she goes any further, as she is currently sat on my drive after a late night driving her home last night awaiting my attention!

Once that's done I'll get to work on the other bits.

The most concerning thing at the moment though was the 'limp home' style mode (which reset after stopping the car and restarting).

It happened when I switched from 'Winter' mode to 'Standard', I expected a light to pop up on the dash telling me of the switch but nothing happened and the switch felt a bit sticky, so a few rocking back and forth to test the switch I came to a large hill, I pushed my foot to the floor for the car to kick down and it didn't. It just sat at 2-3k, seemed reluctant to rev and was very down on power. No misfires or anything, perfectly smooth but I had to give it at least half throttle from then on for it to even want to move and it just wanted to cruise at 2-3k.

A restart of the car cured the problem and off we go - instant throttle response and no issues. I'm not sure if playing with the W and S mode selector while driving confused something.

It was also very wet, lots of spray and much coming up from the road and in the air, perhaps the MAF is on it's way out and got a little damp?

I've experienced MAF issues before, normally the cars will run like a bag of nails and missfire + not rev, this was similar in that very little power and throttle response, but the car still was smooth and just wanted to sit around 2-3k and not change down to get moving if needed.

I guess I will start on my list, and if when I drive it happens again unplug the MAF or just get a new one and see if it is the issue. I hope it is, and that it is not something more sinister, but honestly the way it goes and how smooth and quiet the engine is, I would think it's just a sensor.

Oh, one more thing I remember, cruise control works perfectly, but when I pressed the stalk to set a maximum speed it said 'speedtronic - visit workshop' this was also around the same time as the drop in performance, (I was obviously playing with switches on the way home so it may have been a little before or after :)) would this error have thrown it into a 'safe' mode?

Anyway, I'm still happy that I finally have one, even though I have to spend some time on it and it is a little bit of a project. Fingers crossed I can get it all up together nicely :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Oh yes, and I was happy with the economy too!

I averaged nearly 33 mpg on A and B roads slowing and speeding up through villages etc and even with the miles of 'limp home' mode.

Seemed to work out about 90 miles to £15.00, most impressive!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Congratulations, on the locking up bit it is possible the battery is on the low side voltage wise, and the box cannot re set, or the MAF, they both have similar effects, though with the MAF the power output is down, and this confuses the gear box

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Thanks very much, yes power was down totally, the box didn't seem responsive and just lingered at 2k ish RPM, very little acceleration.

When I pulled up before switching off, I put the car in neutral, gently squeezing the throttle more and more made it rev a little bit but not responsive at all, it felt as though the throttle only had half the effect it should (or less!). Stamping the throttle quickly made the car not do anything at all and just didn't rev. So I guess that rules out gearbox related issues?

Turned her off and on - hey presto, back to normal and no issues.

If it occurs again I'll do a little testing around the MAF, hopefully it is just that and I will replace it :)

Can't wait to get her up together and start using her as I intended.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Unplug the MAF and try it, it will often prove the point, but not always;)

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Needs star diagnostics to see whats really wrong with the car guessing will get expensive.

But worth checking the gearbox pilot bush for oil!!!!

jib

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Thanks well it is running fine at the moment, if it happens again I'll check the MAF, as the problem was even present in neutral, as though it was the engine limiting RPM and or power :)

Anyhow, stuck at work and really keen to get home and get playing with my new toy!!

Cheers,

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
well done...enjoy the journey;)

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Thanks very much, already replaced the air filter and all plugs with NGK platinum last night (the plugs did look fairly old). Also polished up the front light lense covers.

The seat isn't the fuse, so I'll take that apart later hopefully. If anyone has any sources for motors it would be much appreciated as I am struggling to find one online. If there is no economical option I will get one from the dealer.

Need to do an oil change today, and I've also just sourced a new shifter with emblem :)

MAF is an original Bosch item, I may just replace it anyway so I know it has a new one.

I've priced up secondary cats (that come oddly with one of the front ones) £300 for an approved section.

Also looking around for some compatible 18" Mercedes alloys, as I bought her with changing them out in mind, I really like the newer SL350 five spoke alloys on the w208 - need to keep it simple, nothing too fancy that will spoil her simple looks :)

Need to clean underneath and waxoyl all the arces etc too, so I better get my skates on!

Cheers,

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Oil change done yesterday, waxoyld the body under the belly pan.

Just removed the drivers seat today, tapped the motor and it freed up, but moving forward and back it was over heating, local Mercedes garage has one on the shelf, so going to go get it, fit the new one and clean / re-grease the tracks :)

Getting there.....

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
you dont hang around do you !:cool:... i spent 6 months saying to myself, must fix seat, must sort rust ..and a wheel refurb would be nice:lol:

glad your pleased with her!..They really are great cars:cool:;)

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Thanks :) and I haven't driven her since brining her home yet! After I did the seat away I just required all of the stereo system as the original wiring was kaput. So I now have a nice sounding system too :)

She's staying in the garage again tomorrow, need to warily some more, clean and feed the leather then clean / polish up the outside.

Then I shall take we for a spin at the weekend and hopefully she will run ok for me.

Just ordered a new MAf as well as it may have played up on the way home.

Cheers

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom