I've just bought a bunch of tools to DIY..

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Watch out for the "Silverline 323710 Hex Key T-Handle Set 2-10 mm", this is ok, but what you find is if you're not square to the bolt the metal will sheer round, as they are a fairly soft, more so up to 4mm. A decent set that will last is about £60. I use the smaller sizes with a number of road and mountain bikes.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Watch out for the "Silverline 323710 Hex Key T-Handle Set 2-10 mm", this is ok, but what you find is if you're not square to the bolt the metal will sheer round, as they are a fairly soft, more so up to 4mm. A decent set that will last is about £60. I use the smaller sizes with a number of road and mountain bikes.
These are pretty good I've also a couple of Wurth Sets of ball hex and Torx very nice to use.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
These are pretty good I've also a couple of Wurth Sets of ball hex and Torx very nice to use.
They looks nice, I will see of I can find an outlet, I need some new ones. The ball heads are nice to use, park Tool make these for the biking mechanic, but they are around £6 each.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
A bit late to the party I suppose but when I first started 'Tooling up' I amassed over a period of time several sets of differing specification and quality of spanner and socket to the degree it just became confusing in dealing with whatever I was working on at the time, Kinzo and Hilka are brought to mind, UNC, UNF from the US, from home AF, BSW, BSF, BA soon to be complicated by Metric sizes, I ended up spending more time finding the right tool for the job at hand and the one needed was usually the one that was missing and usually ended up using the 'best fit' anyway, whatever it was marked up as. And then in around 1982/3 I found my salvation in a 50 Piece set of Metrinch combination spanners and socket sets, the Metrinch design grips on the flat surfaces of the hex head and 4 of the 6 surfaces in an open ended spanner, the sockets also grip on the Male Torx heads used extensively around the Mercedes, my model anyway, it was expensive at the time and costs just under £200 today but well worth it IMHO, I'm still using my original set after 35 ish Years!

https://www.serenco.nl/en/brands/46-metrinch-brand

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Oooph, when would something like that happen.. Under the car?

Under what circumstance would a spanner get stuck like that?

Was your comment a safety concern?
Not safety more PITA if it happens.
One way ratchets can get caught when undoing a bolt in confined spaces.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Invest in a decent Dremel and some cut off discs. Useful for those bolts that are so rusty a spanner falls off them. Also an angle grinder and 1mm cutting disc (and appropriate safety protection).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Invest in a decent Dremel and some cut off discs. Useful for those bolts that are so rusty a spanner falls off them. Also an angle grinder and 1mm cutting disc (and appropriate safety protection).
Good call on the Dremel, very very useful tool.

No idea what you mean about safety protection on 1mm angle grinders...:rolleyes:

Nuckle.jpg

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I would say 20% of my tools get used (at best) most just pack up the others but very very occasionally I use something out of the 80%.

I am an obsessive fixer having come from restricted means and will always try to fix rather than replace it has nothing to do with cost.
It exasperates many I know including my local MB garage who have given up inviting me to the launch of the latest flagships.

I have a neighbour who thinks similarly and despite being in his 80's is often about fettling things despite once owning an enormous company.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
...I have a neighbour who thinks similarly and despite being in his 80's is often about fettling things despite once owning an enormous company.

Henry Royce spent his retirement in his home built workshop repairing all his neighbours (and their friends) broken machinery.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ouch! :(
and they take ages to heal on a knuckle .... been there a few times so try to remember to switch them off at the plug or remove batteries when changing discs.
It did take awhile and the lemon in the G&T that night defiantly proved I was still alive...

I was using a new Hitachi battery grinder last week with a disc brake on it, very useful as you could put it down straight away

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I am an obsessive fixer having come from restricted means and will always try to fix rather than replace it has nothing to do with cost. .....

Trouble is, many things are built to last a few years are not designed to come apart to be fixed ... think led headlamps and tail lights that are near enough sealed units.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
staying ahead of those who would have us "permanent " consumers is a constant trial and ambition of mine ! cant count how much i have spent on tooling and equipment to do this .but i do enjoy the satisfaction of the occasional "wriggle" and learning something

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Henry Royce spent his retirement in his home built workshop repairing all his neighbours (and their friends) broken machinery.

Yes trundle along to a steam rally or similar and when you find out just who the bloke in the dirty overalls sometimes is.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
So I mentioned in a previous thread that I was going to take a leap onto to wild side and attempt to perform various works on my E350 S212.

I did a bit of research I hopped over to Amazon and ordered a bunch of items, which are due to arrive tomorrow and Saturday. I liberally ordered the bits because I can easily return.

I feel like I have ordered the kitchen sink, which given my circumstances is advisable. Basically, I live on a housing estate with no driveway / garage.. so, if I have my car all opened up and mid way through a task I a missing something, what do I do?! I also didn't really mind the cost etc, considering that labour is 100+vat here in London, the first few jobs shall cover the cost.

So with that in mind, here is what I have ordered. Please feel free to comment on anything regarding quality / better deals etc and add items I may have missed. At the end I will list the items that I have not yet bought but plan to. There are also a few cleaning items in there as the first job on my hands with the engine is clean off all the oil, of which there is much!

This post will be useful for me and with a bit of community effort we might be able to come up with a nice crowd sourced shopping list for newbies like me.

It is worth noting that I don't need snap on quality as these items will be rarely used, but if there is something that stands out as being garbage please let me know. I can easily return anything on the list.

What do people think?

Thanks in advance
Conor

(I'm super excited about this toolbox, I should easily be able to transport the tools in my wagon to wherever I want to work or just out of my flat onto the parking lot)
1 x Stanley 1-79-206 Rolling Workshop - £75.00

1 x Makita 90352 P-90532 Tool Kit, Blue/Black/Silver, Large, 227 Pieces £89.00
2 x Sealey WC09 Composite Wheel Chocks 0.3kg - Pair - (£10.03ea) £20.06
1 x Silverline 323710 Hex Key T-Handle Set 2-10 mm - 10 Pieces £6.89
1 x Rolson 62841 Tradesman Knife £3.99
1 x Status 10 m PVC Electrical Insulating Tape - Assorted Colour £2.50
1 x 400 Pcs Nylon Cable Zip Ties 100mm,150mm,200mm,250mm (100 Pcs each) £7.45
1 x Portwest Coverall | Mechanic Garage Workwear £17.28
1 x Tacklife Torque 3/8 Inch Drive 13.6-108.5 NM 10-/80 lb-ft, 2.95-inch Extension Bar, 1/2'' & 1/4'' Adaptor £26.99
1 x GardenMate 2m x 3m Tarpaulin Waterproof Heavy Duty - Blue/Green tarp Sheet £7.95
1 x Amtech A0250 Fibreglass Claw Hammer 16 oz £6.52
1 x Silverline 675089 Oil Drain Clean Pan 6 L £2.94
1 x Disposable Heavy Duty Powder Free Nitrile Gloves - Box 100 (L) £8.90
1 x Fluids & Lubricants Funnel Set 4 pce pieces 50mm, 75mm, 100mm & 120mm £6.66
1 x Silverline 675072 Socket Torx Ext E4-E24 - Set of 14 £11.16
1 x Mechanix Wear - FastFit Gloves (Medium, Black) £13.22
1 x Silverline 675263 Stockinette Roll 9m 800g £7.57
1 x Silverline 129472 Telescopic Inspection Mirror, 166-500 mm £3.05
2 x Silverline 871414 Magnetic Parts Dish, 150 mm (£2.98ea) £5.96
1 x Rolson LED Claw and Magnetic Pick Up Tool £8.00
1 x Portwest KP05BKR Series KP05 Kneeling Pad, Regular, Black £4.48

Engine cleaning items:
1 x Gunk 6868 5L Ultra Engine Degreaser £10.25
1 x Autoglym 21503060 AG 310017 Hi-Tech Wheel Brush £13.99
1 x Silverline 282441 Pressure Sprayer, 2 L £4.41

Total purchase cost: £364.22

I plan on buying the following tools another time, once needed and when I find decent ones:

* MB Spark plug wire removal tool / puller
* MB transmission fluid dipstick
* MB offset engine mount tool
* Oil filter wrench

I am not sure if I need to buy the following also, advice welcome:

* 3/8" Driver - I'm not 100% about the sizing of sockets. I know there 1/4" and 1/2" in the Makita set but not sure about why or if I need to get 3/8" driver (and sockets?)??
* Torx head set female - It looks like there are a bunch of them in Makita set so I need to check that.
* Pry bar set
* Heavy duty screwdriver set
* Flexi driver or some kind of fancy adapters for angles etc.
* Breaker bar

Have you ordered a torque wrench, cant see one on your list. Norbar make good ones.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Bumper reply coming in.. :)

I wouldn’t bother initially, the ones you wear out replace with good quality. The others as you use so infrequently there’s no point in spending serious money on.
insp
I always bought my engineers cheap sets initially and replaced the ones they used all the time with good quality.

Ratchet spanners are great but if you’re going to be really using them don’t get the ones with the reverse switch as they’re weaker. Get the ones that only go in one direction that you flip over to go the other way.

Fair points, right now I am more interested in getting a selection of items. That Halfords set does seem to have a decent selection. I think I will go with it and the luxury of ratchets.. Fair points about the ratchet having no angle. I imagine over time for this reason people usually build up a set of ratchet and non versions..

Bigger torque wrench as the one listed wouldn't do your wheel bolts. More extensions of different lengths for your sockets are always a good idea. A decent inspection lamp / torch and a multi-meter are also useful additions. Don't forget a selection of pliers / side cutters and mole wrenches...

Hmm, interesting. Do I really need one for wheels? I would usually just kick them tight.. ahhh! I think I will return what I have and get one to cover wheels. Along with figuring out how to set the torque :D

I already have a torch for camping that is super bright and a headlamp. I may get something with a magnet later. Good point on the pliers too, I did forget them but realised last night. Multimeter too, although I have one sitting at home in Ireland that goes unused. I might just bring all my electronics kit back over here the next time I travel.

I hear you... the sprayer I ordered is Silverline and the blowout valve leaks air as it's pumped. Useless. I have immediately lost faith in Silverline. I like the idea of the ball end sets as I have used them in the past. I will order a good set as they will be useful for my bike also. Cheers.

Thanks, will check them out.

A bit late to the party I suppose but when I first started 'Tooling up' I amassed over a period of time several sets of differing specification and quality of spanner and socket to the degree it just became confusing in dealing with whatever I was working on at the time, Kinzo and Hilka are brought to mind, UNC, UNF from the US, from home AF, BSW, BSF, BA soon to be complicated by Metric sizes, I ended up spending more time finding the right tool for the job at hand and the one needed was usually the one that was missing and usually ended up using the 'best fit' anyway, whatever it was marked up as. And then in around 1982/3 I found my salvation in a 50 Piece set of Metrinch combination spanners and socket sets, the Metrinch design grips on the flat surfaces of the hex head and 4 of the 6 surfaces in an open ended spanner, the sockets also grip on the Male Torx heads used extensively around the Mercedes, my model anyway, it was expensive at the time and costs just under £200 today but well worth it IMHO, I'm still using my original set after 35 ish Years!

https://www.serenco.nl/en/brands/46-metrinch-brand

Never too late, mate :) Thanks for the input but I think that brand is probably a bit too high quality for me, given the price. Everything will only get occasional use at best.

Hmm, I will some time perhaps but not right away. What do you do one you have cut off the head?? How do you get it out? Cut a groove in it?

Have you ordered a torque wrench, cant see one on your list. Norbar make good ones.

I have it and arrived already, but as mentioned above, I might get one with better range of torque.

----

Does anybody have an idea of the size of cup socket I need for the air filter?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm, I will some time perhaps but not right away. What do you do one you have cut off the head?? How do you get it out? Cut a groove in it?
You can cut new flats for a spanner, cut a groove in the head, cut it flush to prepare for drilling out. Plenty of options.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I also received my gloves. They are nice and will work well but I would probably prefer a little more padding on the finger for pulling at things. Also there are no knuckle guards... and I can imaging just hitting my knuckles off something while working inside and it hurting like a *****.. Will probably order something stronger.

Top Bottom