Jeremy Corbyn.

charlysays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 Turbodiesel Sport Auto Estate
He's got an incredibly consistent voting record and political agenda, you know what you are getting with corbyn more than any other party leader.
Some of the smear attempts have been hilarious.
You just have to look at his expenses history and where he lives to know that he would do good for the working class.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I'm not sure he is too consistent on Nuclear weapons a long time member (1966) of CND yet he leads a party that will renew Trident, when asked if he would "push the button" he squirmed like a stuck pig when a simple no would have been more honest.
Still I did hope to be more positive so hopefully he will clear this up.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
He's got an incredibly consistent voting record and political agenda, you know what you are getting with corbyn more than any other party leader.
You just have to look at his expenses history and where he lives to know that he would do good for the working class.

And what would he do for the country?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Keep U-turn Theresa from screwing it up?

I know you have a sense of humour, but still... this is a guy whose playbook is 1962 Moscow. Communism- heavy and don't worry about the shekels.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Theresa U turn ?
Should she carry out the will of the people or not ?
Do you serve the country or yourself ?
Would Jeremy after a Democratic vote by the country do the same ?
He appears to respect democracy and has said Brexit will carry on.
What point a member of Parliament who does not respect democratic votes ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Theresa U turn ?
Should she carry out the will of the people or not ?
Do you serve the country or yourself ?
Would Jeremy after a Democratic vote by the country do the same ?
He appears to respect democracy and has said Brexit will carry on.
What point a member of Parliament who does not respect democratic votes ?

Its not about only Brexit (FFS are you so narrow minded?)

Lets look at her u-turns (and yes I'll start with Brexit).
Campaigned against it - now pushing hard for a Brexit at any cost ('the will of the people' is irrelevant - she went against her own principles for reasons of self-aggrandisement).
Hinckley point - was going to stop it then went ahead with it.
New London airport.
National Insurance contribution increases (perhaps not solely her but she was instrumental in the government u-turn).
Including students in UK immigration figures then removing them
Refugee children from the Calais Jungle (the Dubs amendment) - offered to take 3000 solo children and stopped after only 350.
Snap election - after repeatedly stating there would be no snap election oh look - a snap election!

There are undoubtedly more...

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Its not about only Brexit (FFS are you so narrow minded?)

Lets look at her u-turns (and yes I'll start with Brexit).
Campaigned against it - now pushing hard for a Brexit at any cost ('the will of the people' is irrelevant - she went against her own principles for reasons of self-aggrandisement).
Hinckley point - was going to stop it then went ahead with it.
New London airport.
National Insurance contribution increases (perhaps not solely her but she was instrumental in the government u-turn).
Including students in UK immigration figures then removing them
Refugee children from the Calais Jungle (the Dubs amendment) - offered to take 3000 solo children and stopped after only 350.
Snap election - after repeatedly stating there would be no snap election oh look - a snap election!

There are undoubtedly more...

Which would you prefer - someone who sticks rigidly and exactly to what was proposed years ago based on projected criteria even when they change out of all recognition, or someone with the balls to realise that the country would be better served by adapting to actual criteria?

You cite Brexit as a "U-turn" - I thought everyone was aware that the government had no alternative.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Which would you prefer - someone who sticks rigidly and exactly to what was proposed years ago based on projected criteria even when they change out of all recognition, or someone with the balls to realise that the country would be better served by adapting to actual criteria?

You cite Brexit as a "U-turn" - I thought everyone was aware that the government had no alternative.
Brexit was a personal U-Turn for her. The government had no alternative (actually they did since the referundum was advisory but it would have been politically awkward) but she had campaigned against it and then opted to take on the leadership role which would mean she would need to lead Brexit (as head of Government). In other words she chose to make a play for power but did a complete about face on her previously publicly stated convictions.

And of the listed u-turns above only 2 were historical. The rest were all during her term.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Brexit was a personal U-Turn for her. The government had no alternative (actually they did since the referundum was advisory but it would have been politically awkward) but she had campaigned against it and then opted to take on the leadership role which would mean she would need to lead Brexit (as head of Government). In other words she chose to make a play for power but did a complete about face on her previously publicly stated convictions.

And of the listed u-turns above only 2 were historical. The rest were all during her term.

I've certainly taken on tasks in my life to achieve an outcome I felt was a mistake. Although I disagreed with whatever it was I had to do, I knew I could do it better than anyone else - I looked on that as being grown up, doing the right thing for those to whom I was answerable.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've certainly taken on tasks in my life to achieve an outcome I felt was a mistake. Although I disagreed with whatever it was I had to do, I knew I could do it better than anyone else - I looked on that as being grown up, doing the right thing for those to whom I was answerable.
So thats one u-turn down if you want to accept that logic...

Its still an impressive number of public u-turns in under a year.
She's clearly a lady for turning...

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

You refer to u-turns in a way to say that changing is some sort of weakness and betrayal whereas I would put most changes down to agility, flexibility, forward planning and adaptation to suit the circumstances.

The fact is, neither of us will ever know whether they were the right things to do or not. ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

You refer to u-turns in a way to say that changing is some sort of weakness and betrayal whereas I would put most changes down to agility, flexibility, forward planning and adaptation to suit the circumstances.

The fact is, neither of us will ever know whether they were the right things to do or not. ;)

I view u-turns as the result of poor planning and not thinking things through correctly or indecisiveness.
Agility, flexibility and adaptation are when you change how to do something not change what you intend to be done.

But you're right - no one can ever know whether a decision was the best one or not.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bear in mind that it's politics (and thus everything is kudos/ political capital/ vote winning/ context driven) a u turn- like the snap election- can also be viewed as being able to rapidly take account of new developments to one's advantage, thus the party's (and thus the electorate's, assuming one has their best interests firmly in mind as they perceive them).

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I used to respect Corbyn for at least sticking to his left-wing policies but very recently he seems to be recanting in order to garner votes. Like Blair did 20 years back.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I used to respect Corbyn for at least sticking to his left-wing policies but very recently he seems to be recanting in order to garner votes. Like Blair did 20 years back.

Blair moved to middle ground, maybe right of middle, but I can't see how Jeremy has?

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
At the end of the day most politicians are only out for one thing & thats themselves.
The majority voted for brexit & we still have mp's trying to disrupt the democratic will of the people.
Corbyn is a liability to the labour party & may even render them unelectable for a generation just like Foot & Kinnock did in the 80's.
Corbyn is really only part of the labour parties problems though as they have no real leader in the party who can realistically challenge the tories & hold them accountable.
A sorry state of affairs really.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Simple really in my view:
- He has the integrity of a lemming.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)

He is so consistent that when Labour were in power he voted against the whip 428 times: http://revolts.co.uk/?p=932
And of course he's totally truthful (no seats on this train, mate!). But like most politicians he has an overwhelming sense of his own importance.
- The kind of person you wouldn't want to throw as far as you can vote!

Top Bottom