Jerking gear change

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Hello all,

Just as my 1 year approved used warranty is about to expire I have my second, and more concerning problem. There is a very snappy and pronounced gear change from 4th to 5th and 5th to 4th. Most noticeable when cold, other than that there is a big thump when upshifting at certain circumstances (I suspect 4th to 5th) when on the move and pushing the car a tad. From my reading up on the 7G tronic this is where the two clutches overlap.
Car is a 2011 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency with the 7G+. Now, there is very little I have read about problems with these, but if it will be someone, it has to be me.
Car has already been back to Mercedes at the beginning of the month. Paid for diagnostics and someone to tell me there is nothing wrong (of course). Warranty expires in the next couple of days, so I am already shafted as it is.
Oil has been changed on time first and then a few months later as per my request when I bought the car as nobody at the dealer bothered to check if it was done in the first place.
Now I know until something goes pop everyone can just guess at it and there are no codes. I am leaning towards either the valve body or conductor plate. Has anyone got idea of prices etc for either of them so I can budget for the worst case? Alternatively, has anyone had similar issue with the said 7G+. Not sure if related or not, certainly not concerned about it, it will hold 6th in certain instances when it should be in 7th, which it will go into via manual mode or if I wait for a couple of minutes.

Apologies for the long winded question and thank you for taking the time to read it.

Kind regards
Ivaylo

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if you are still in warranty and you have raised the fault then it should be covered, as the fault happened whilst still covered..... whilst the idiots may be lying and stupid, it doesn't mean its not there nor not covered

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^+1 any issue raised before the warranty expiry date should be covered - any work done on that component will also have a form of guarantee normally too

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I had raised it. It was in for diags as stated but found nothing. I suppose it’s at a stage where it is on the way, just not enough to throw a code. Service manager was adament that even if submitted under warranty, should it need work out of warranty then I’m not covered. I will ringing tomorrow anyway for further discussion, but this is not acceptable by any means.
I understand it is not a new car and is bound to have faults, however I have been in a renault automatic that is more than twice the age and mileasge and the box in that felt much better.

Would anyone happen to know if it will be the conductor plate or valve body? My suspicion is either of them two, hence I will push the manager over the phone tomorrow.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I had similar problem with my 05 CLk jerks and not changing gear etc. New electro plate. Do later models have this problem?

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Car booked again with dealer for 5th of Feb. Out of warranty at that point but they have known about the problems and it was in beginning of Jan. Sadly still no codes or lights, but for what it is I just want a working car.
Had a lot of headaches with my 07 CLS and I feel this is going the same way.
My mind is ever so slightly moving away now. My heart is set on a facelift W218, but I am starting to sway towards other german brands now. It is a great shame as the package as a whole is really nice, execution is pretty poor.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Bearing in mind the car is approved used with a FMBSH I’m sure whatever the problem is with gearbox the dealer will contribute to the cost of the repair if not cover the whole cost, if not I would certainly argue the case.

Good luck with it always a tricky situation when problems arise at the end of a warranty period

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bearing in mind the car is approved used with a FMBSH I’m sure whatever the problem is with gearbox the dealer will contribute to the cost of the repair if not cover the whole cost, if not I would certainly argue the case.

Good luck with it always a tricky situation when problems arise at the end of a warranty period

Thanks for that. My experience with said dealership has been a bit of a mixed bag so far anyway. Jerking explained only happens when eveything is cold. Once fluids are warm and toasty it’s barely noticeable, that shouldn’t be the case with something branded as the best of nothing though.
Not holding my breath with them sorting anything out though. Even though I’ve got a thump under certain conditions as well. That’s what it was in for originally.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I remember one or two members having a problem with the gearbox ECU circa 14 reg cars which presented similar symptoms to what your’re experiencing slamming into fourth gear

I’m not a particular fan of the 7sp gearbox and I can’t say mine is silky smooth at times but I’ve come to accept its little foibles but as you say I’ve been in other brands which have been much better so MB really do need to up their game

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
When you mention it’s had an oil change, is that the engine on a normal service interval? It may be worth having the ATF fluid and filter changed - what mileage has the car done?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for that. My experience with said dealership has been a bit of a mixed bag so far anyway. Jerking explained only happens when eveything is cold. Once fluids are warm and toasty it’s barely noticeable, that shouldn’t be the case with something branded as the best of nothing though.
Not holding my breath with them sorting anything out though. Even though I’ve got a thump under certain conditions as well. That’s what it was in for originally.
Is it worth leaving at the dealership overnight so the mechanic can drive it when it's cold , with Star attached to it ?

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it worth leaving at the dealership overnight so the mechanic can drive it when it's cold , with Star attached to it ?

They kept it for 3 days last time and came back with nothing. Keeping it overnight as well this time too. Last time it was used by the head mechanic apparently. Only difference I saw was 120 miles more than when I dropped it off.

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yip that won’t help your situation which is mecheng

I know it’s a long shot, but would swapping the valve body as a unit sort this? I am asking as Mercedes are known for swapping the whole thing anyway, and if so I will give them a nudge as to what to do.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I know it’s a long shot, but would swapping the valve body as a unit sort this? I am asking as Mercedes are known for swapping the whole thing anyway, and if so I will give them a nudge as to what to do.
Would it be worth getting one of our good indys to have a test of the car to write a report before the warranty runs out ??

OP
Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would it be worth getting one of our good indys to have a test of the car to write a report before the warranty runs out ??

Probably not, it runs out in the next couple of days. And knowing how stubborn Mercedes are, or at least the dealer I use, that will be of little help. I had to fight them for 6 months for a faulty stat. No matter what info I had and where I had it from, they were having none of it.

If push comes to shove I will just go to a respected indi to look at it anyway, if I’ve not traded it in by then of course.

This is only felt when cold, but it should not be there really. I am expecting slightly harsher shifts when the drivetrain is cold, and they are a little bit, but once warm those 4th to 5th and vice versa are almost unnoticeable.

I know in the grand scheme of things it is a minor issue, but at that price point and from Mercedes it is not to be accepted. I am slightly starting to get pushed away from the brand tbh.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The other post running similarly to this at the moment has Ian at Star saying his local MB normally change out regardless, so although it is a long shot it not unheard of?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom