Jinyu YU63 Tyres

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
You can quote them being made in China as much as you like. However the fact remains that different companies have different tolerances that factory has to stick to.

EG Apple have the iPhone produced in China. Look at the build quality of that phone.

It's the same as tyres. Michelin et al go to the Ling Long factory and say 'this is the spec the tyres have to be. If they do not match this spec we will take our business elsewhere!'

Jinyu come to same factory and say 'paint these rubber bands black and stamp some markings on the side!'

Bit of a hyperbole with that last statement but you get the point.

There is a reason they are cheap. It's not just because of the name on the side..... :rolleyes:

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
You are looking a fool with that statement maybe you could have it removed if you ask.
Many famous tyre brands sold in this country will have made in China on their sidewalls

Still waiting......;)

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
Looks like they have a good factory and test vehicles. :rolleyes: :D

c522201b25616cfc0bca2a7d518afe1a.jpg

where did you get this photo?:p its from karachi city and my country, and at least here testing by this company is unheard off, and the most commonly they are fitted to similar vehicles as you can see in the picture, a bedford rascal van or a suzuki carry as its called here at best, i also came across their heavy marketing here when buying tyres for my mercedes and they were cheaper here then they would be in uk due to trade benefits across the border with china, and no i didn't even gave them a second glance, ling long is a slightly more popular brand here and i wouldn't care about that either.

Last edited:

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
You can quote them being made in China as much as you like. However the fact remains that different companies have different tolerances that factory has to stick to.

EG Apple have the iPhone produced in China. Look at the build quality of that phone.

It's the same as tyres. Michelin et al go to the Ling Long factory and say 'this is the spec the tyres have to be. If they do not match this spec we will take our business elsewhere!'

Jinyu come to same factory and say 'paint these rubber bands black and stamp some markings on the side!'

There is a reason they are cheap. It's not just because of the name on the side..... :rolleyes:

no kidding, here as its across the border you'll find the proper jinyu or ling long tyre same quality as ones being exported to other countries and you'll also come across rejected or substandard tyres. the substandard ones would have 100% same thread design and marking on sidewalls and seem to have no issues in their construction, only they would have no brand mentioned anywhere, otherwise 100% the same, these are the ones which are either substandard and were meant to be destroyed or disposed or they are the ones on which jinyu would have come and as you say paint the rubber black and stamp some markings.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...

In many cases/products, they also don't have the R&D costs to recoup either.

FIBAMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180,C180,E300TURBO DIESEL
Just in time

my car had some jinyu tyres (not sure which 'model') fitted when i got it (dad wasnt using it much and could only get those tyres at the local place when he needed them)

i tend to like to press on in my car and i found them to be fine in the dry. however in the damp/wet i found that when they were on the rear axle, the traction control light was flashing every time i was lower than 3rd gear powering out of a bend/junction, and when on the front, the nose ran wide even when taking things relatively easily.

probably fine for city driving, but personally, id avoid. i was glad when they wore out!

my car has 195/65x15 v tyres and on various online tyre sites, dunlop blueresponse tyres are around £41 each so it might be worth looking at them. ive had dunlops on a lot of my cars over the years and always found them to be a decent tyre
I read this just in time, I was seriously thinking of buying a Focus (from Spennymoor) for my daughter, it had fairly new Jinyu (I never heard of them before) but pleased I didnt.

FIBAMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180,C180,E300TURBO DIESEL
Have run run all my cars, on LASSA (Bridgestone second string) when the original Pirelli or Michelin have worn out.
Apart from being much cheaper, I never found much to whinge about on performance (actually quieter than the Pirellis sticks in mind).

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
What exactly are you waiting for ?

To find out the "many famous brands of tyres sold in this country that have "Made in China" on the sidewall"

Apart from the obvious cheap ditchfinders I have seen none.

Anywhoo, done to death now.......:rolleyes:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I read this just in time, I was seriously thinking of buying a Focus (from Spennymoor) for my daughter, it had fairly new Jinyu (I never heard of them before) but pleased I didnt.

theyre probably fine on a focus, but i wouldnt risk it.

i run the best tyres i can afford, made by companies i know and trust. when cornering/stopping REALLY matters to me isnt when im going to work, its when i have my kids in the car. THEY are what matter to ME.
id never forgive myself if anything happened to my little girls just because i was too tight to spend a few extra quid on some decent rubber.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Well Kumho fitted to MB cars Hankook and Goodyear there quite well known
You are years out of date at least 7 by this old post http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&t=386634&d=11017.33580&nmt=
They might be MADE in China BUT they will be made to manufacturer specs and even THAT doesn't guarantee quality.

I spent a few months working at the pirelli factory in Carlisle. The UK made pirellis are widely known, both inside and outside of the company, to be far superior to the ones made in the Hungarian factories, for example, despite being made to the same 'recipe' as there are invariably differences in raw materials from different suppliers.
Hungarian pirellis are slightly better on mileage but UK ones grip better in the wet. I can only assume, as I've not worked in any other tyre manufacturers premises, that the issue is the same for all brands. Same recipe, varying quality raw materials so some tyres are better than others.
I'd imagine Chinese or Indian tyres, no matter how good the workforce, are made cheaper due to lower quality raw materials and lower wages. End result can only be poorer quality tyres.

If you put sh!t in, you can only get sh!t out.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have only ever said that there are tyres made in China with well known brand names sold in the UK.

For some reason certain posters don't like these facts.

Are the tyres I suggested as a budget alternative to Jinju, Ling Longs Greenmax's as good as the best no, but then they are a third of the price and the factory they are made in manufactures tyres for well known brands.

It wasn't that long ago people fell about laughing at the thought of anything manufactured in China being any good clearly thats history.

Chinese tyre manufacturers are snapping at the heels of the established brands.

Many on here like Kumho they are made in China and sold here as well as other plants.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have only ever said that there are tyres made in China with well known brand names sold in the UK.

I only use tyres made in rubber.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I was given one to drive by MB whilst mine was being sorted thats what made me laugh I had been driving around on a brand new Chinese tyred MB.
I'm still here and didn't find any ditches either.:grin:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I have laughed much reading this thread, it seems that the stereotype of where it is made is more important than the product.

I agree that some things made in certain countries are crap BUT:

1. Any tyre sold in this country has to adhere to UK quality standards
2. Manufacturers will make their product wherever is cheapest
3. They will test the product as their reputation is on the line.

Tyre wise because it doesn't say Pirelli or Goodyear on it doesn't make it crap, some of the newer tyre brands are better rated.

As has been said MB use Kumho, the DTM use Hankook (and they usually only find ditches after some paint swapping at speed)

The world is changing, brands are changing and the monopoly the big brands had is no longer there.

I put Sunny on the back of my car (needed 2 and it was all my mate had in stock), they are great, grippy and B rated in the wet, initial impressions are excellent.

I had Conti SC3 on my W203 and they were awful, changed them for Nankang NS2 and they were better in all respects particularly in the wet

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think the media campaign run by the tyre companies is biting them back as many of them now manufacture in China.
As above a B Class came to me brand new with Chinese tyres fitted on the production line.
A lot of out of date misconceptions came when I posted an alternative budget brand for Jinju.
Still I am old enough to remember people falling about laughing at the thought of Japanese cars.

Oh and Goodyear manufacture in China and I believe Ling Long make tyres for them but I am waiting for confirmation.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom