john hakeman

J

john hakeman

As I am new to this I may be doing it completely wrong , however here goes:-

I have decided to go the classic route as a hobby, I have obtained a '72 350SL a car I have always liked. It has a seized camshaft and a couple of the bearing "posts" have cracked. I have a 380 engine/box and other bits to change the engine but in the meantime would like to replace the cam & posts to get her MOT'd and try her out. Eventually I intend to return her to original condition and put the then (Ihope) overhauled engine back in.has any one any ideas where to get the cam & bearings or if new ones are pricey as the recon itself will be pretty expensive. It appears that oilstarvation has cauced this. I it a known fault as the oil supply bar on both sides looks well gunged up

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum John

osc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1971 450SL; 1989 911 3.2 Carrera Targa; 1999 BMW 728i
350sl engine parts

i have a lot of 350 engine parts from my project including a complete block, pistons, camshaft and a set of heads i reconditioned and only ran for a few hundred miles (IMHO the block is worn)

you should know this, but just in case the pre '73 units had electical injection but i'm not sure how the internals of a 380 (mechanical injection) would compare with the 350.

let me know if you need anything from a 350

OP
J

john hakeman

Thanks everyone for the replies very nice to have some help. As a classic Range Rover & Discovery nut for offroading, the Diesel engines (early 200 300tdi) , are simple, the V8 more complicated but so far not broken so no need to touch them.This is very new & at 61 it's strange to be a junior!. ps sorry about spelling errors in last nights try out.

OP
J

john hakeman

i have a lot of 350 engine parts from my project including a complete block, pistons, camshaft and a set of heads i reconditioned and only ran for a few hundred miles (IMHO the block is worn)

you should know this, but just in case the pre '73 units had electical injection but i'm not sure how the internals of a 380 (mechanical injection) would compare with the 350.

let me know if you need anything from a 350

Thank you, I certainly need a cam and the bearing blocks, I am not sure of other bits. How much would you want? Regarding the 380 engine I am told it will fit but am getting everything inc autobox and more or less anything I want. That engine is a rebuilt unit Regards

OP
J

john hakeman

The spelling was perfect, you just missed the space bar twice :D:D:D

Very nice of you but I also said I instead of is it a known fault? I have printed off the parts no's & exploded views which are a great help, I am also looking for a decent workshop manual CD, I got a good one for the Land Rovers, but one for a Pajero was a load of rubbish, a bit like that car, regards John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you want any info on doing the job just let me know the engine number :D

osc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1971 450SL; 1989 911 3.2 Carrera Targa; 1999 BMW 728i
Thank you, I certainly need a cam and the bearing blocks, I am not sure of other bits. How much would you want? Regarding the 380 engine I am told it will fit but am getting everything inc autobox and more or less anything I want. That engine is a rebuilt unit Regards

I'm sure we can work something out - have PMed you my number.

I'm not sure if you can doner parts from from 380 on 350 but check with others on this site. If you can get everything I then I would get absolutely everything from the 380 e.g. wiring loom, ecu, all electrical ancillaires, manifolds and front downpipes, etc else you will regret it....

this is a pretty big job to do all that. i speak from [almost] having done it.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom