judder and fade

See elle Kay

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 elegance 1999 V6
I have a 1999 CLK 320 - which seems to be slowly falling apart.

CAM Sensor changed
brake light switch changes

recently the sunroof packed up

oh and when i want to close the window I need to enter into a kind of exchange with car as where the glass needs to stop. I want to close the window and the car wants to leave it open a couple of centimeters......

still onto the brake issue in hand.

under normal driving they seem ok....the other day I had a youngster tailgating me...so being a twat I thought I'd blast away from him and leave him in the dust. This i achieved with splender I glanced acrossed to my wife, who game me the look ( as if to say you childish twat) we continued smiling all the way to the round about at the end of the dual carriage way, by this time the 'tailgater' had wound his car up to somewhere close if not pass his top speed and we entered the roundabout far quicker than advised......

he must have thought I was either madder than he...stupid...both or had a judder from the brakes which seemed to fade as the round about became alarmingly close.

surfice to say we negotiated the round about and made 'good progress' through the exit..my wifes look had turned to anger as she proceeded to ask why I would risk her life to prove a point..........I chose not to explain as I thought this would be wise. so............

slight juddering and faded breaking - though only at highish speed...I lost confidence in the brakes and have not since then driven the car aggressively.

I thought the front disks could be the culpriate and the vibration was 'rattling' the pads hence the fade?? I have tried at lower speeds gently touching the brake pedal to see If I can feel anything but nothing, peadl firm and brakes well normally....any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

oh and the 'tailgater'........I think he shat himself................more than I did, he kept back after that.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Interesting translation from French to English...
It has a certain Anglo Saxon flavour..

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The brakes should be good for some spirited driving so I would give them a once over.

Give the back brakes a check over and ensure that they are applying correctly.

I may be wrong, but I think that your rear brakes are of the sliding calliper type, which are known to stick. Remove the pad carrier, give it a thorough clean, paying attention to the areas where the pads slide on it. Often these points need filing flat again due to rust build up. Apply a little Copperslip to the appropriate places, making sure that none gets onto the friction material or the disc and reassemble.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
**Silly edit timeout**

Once the rear brakes are working to their full potential you'll be surprised how much more effective your braking is in general.

Then have a look at the fronts to ensure that there is even pad wear and clear away the crud that collects on the areas that the ends of the pads rub against the calliper.

The juddering could be warped discs, assuming that it wasn't the ABS, but is more likely caused by more braking material embedded in one area of the disc due to keeping the brakes applied after coming to a stop. I always try and remember to apply the parking brake when I stop wherever possible to help prevent this (or if braking from very high speed I try and release the brakes momentarily before braking again, just before I stop).

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Have the brakes checked out

Drive more slowly on the public highway

Fin

Warrior

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI 03 (Now changed for Jag XF 3.0D S), & Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 04 (SLK in Drag)
Have a bit of a shake around and a quick pry bar session around all the front end steering and suspension linkages and bushes too.

Often judder can come from small amounts of collective play in those components under heavy braking.

Hipperholme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CKL220/2007/dci Sport
I had a judder on my 2006 CLK sport and thought it was the front discs.
On strippingng it down to change the discs, one of the pistons in the offside caliper was seized.
New caliper, front discs and pads and all fine.
Just before I bought this car last July, it had the nearside caliper replaced.
I believe the sport brakes are prone to seizing.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom