Just another n00b

Germgh0st

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C43
Hey all. I'm Sean, 47 from South Shields. For the past five years I've had a Mk3 Focus ST (three of them in fact) and I love them, in my opinion the best bang for buck car in it's sector.

Just over a year ago my dad passed away and left me able to pay off my debts, including car finance, buy my house outright from my landlord and move up a car class.

My bucket list car has always been an Audi RS3. However with the emission regulations they have not been available since October, and there's a good chance that they won't come back for various reasons. My second option was the new A45, which isn't available yet. So I thought I'd have a look at at some more 'grown up' options and maybe move from hooning around in a hatchback to something a little more luxurious whilst still having enough under my right foot to put a smile on my face.

The Jaguar XE 300 Sport was first and, whilst I didn't get to test drive that actual model, it was very nice. Too nice. Uninvolving. Boring.

On Saturday I test drove a C43. Unlike the Jag it felt big and will take me a while to get used to. However the cabin was a very nice place to sit in and I loved the car. Especially the sound when I floored it, and especially in Sport+ mode, and especially considering it had the standard exhaust and not the AMG version that I would opt for. With my foot on the floor it felt like it just wanted to keep going and going and going and didn't want me to stop. The thing I liked the most - no torque steer while I did this!

The C43 ticks a lot, if not all, of the boxes for me. It has the matrix style headlights of the RS3 which I lust after (yeah sad I know!), I can have it with a pano roof, it has similar power figures and is just a little slower then the RS3 to 60 - although if the RS3 does come back it'll no doubt have a PPF and be slightly down on power. It has AWD, but better than quattro it's rear biased so I get the 'feel' of a rear wheel drive sports car but the safety and stability of AWD. It even has the digital dash and whilst this isn't as good as Audi's virtual cockpit it is a proper dash, not a flat 'stuck on' screen like in the A and E class. The other screen still looks stuck on, and I wish Mercedes would do the whole 'disappears into the dashboard' thing that Audi do on the 3 series, and I wish it was angled slightly towards the driver to make it a little easier to catch with the corner of the eye. But that was my only gripe, that and the way the gearbox changes down as you slow down which seemed more jerky than it needed to be. But that's what you get with a torque converter gearbox I suppose.

So now the C43 is a serious contender I thought I'd join a Mercedes forum, and this seemed like the most popular, to see people's opinions and experiences with the C43 to help make my decision :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Sean. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome to the forum buddy

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Sean, welcome to the forum. You are talking to a biased audience here so we would all support your decision if you were to go for the C43.

carlls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 cls350 gone 2009 320cdi sports estate
hi and welcome to the forum

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi Sean, welcome to the forum. You are talking to a biased audience here so we would all support your decision if you were to go for the C43.
Only if he provides pictures though !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Sean, the AMG experience is very compelling.
I hear what you say on the dash, a colleague has the new A8 and the dash is stunning, much better than the Mercedes and BMW current offering. I think that’s relatively minor - after a year someone else will do yet another version which will be better so unless you’re changing cars annually then it’s just a nature of todays ‘connected’ society.
Are you looking at HUD on the C43? My i8 is the first car I’ve had with it, and I just love it, I concentrate on that now more than much of the dash....

OP
G

Germgh0st

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C43
I am indeed looking at the HUD. Pretty much every option in fact apart from the 19" wheels as I don't care for black.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Sean and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are growing up moving to Mercedes from your Focus ST (it happens to us all one day!).

I can’t speak for the C43 but I love my new GLC43.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome, I think you have convinced your self to buy a C43.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Welcome to the forum.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom