Just bought a Bmw

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Well I just bought a BMW 530d tourer, early days yet, to say how good it is, motoring press like them, it is very fast, and I got a dipstick, there's a novelty!!:)

The reason I bought it? I could not afford a 54 plate Merc estate!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Oh dear Jim!!!

Look forward to hearing about how many faults you have with that!!!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
i just happen to know the hants area breakdown tech for bmw, he is far more busy than i was for merc!!

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I will stick to mercs but must say my second choice would be B.M.W. or volvo have noticed the body work seems to stay quite good. Hope this helps

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Good choice of car (slightly biased). Spec? Pictures?
Google swirl flaps, not sure if yours has got them. If it does get rid and clean your oil breather regularly. Those are the only design faults, apart from them it's every bit as good as the equivalent MB offering. Enjoy! :)

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
After 2004 the swirl flaps were modified --I would either replace manifold with a new one now if its not been done already or take them out altogether--either way you are only into hundreds and not thousands for a new engine ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Well I just bought a BMW 530d tourer, early days yet, to say how good it is, motoring press like them, it is very fast, and I got a dipstick, there's a novelty!!:)

oh dear. i do hope youre not on the slippery slope to satanism, Jim! friend of mine has an 05 plate 530d sport saloon. the ride is appalling!

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
BMW 530d tourer

....aren't they prone to catching fire just before the transmission falls out:shock:

I know a Merc Indie who drives a BMW, rough as a bag of rusty nails - no names no pack drill:):)

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
....aren't they prone to catching fire just before the transmission falls out:shock:

are they still doing that?? :shock::shock: although with BMW's rate of change (the interior is the same as an 80's one!) it wouldnt surprise me! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.

That's okay, I'm sure you'll grow up one day. :rolleyes:

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
so far at our house it's

BMW 3, Mercedes 5. But i did have one BMW for 16 years and 190,000 miles. I'd say that probably evens the score out a bit more.
Like the beemers a lot, i mean a huge amount. Love the mercs though........'nuff said.

alan782

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi (211) avantgard estate zzr1400(2012)
My Brother had a 525d for 3 years (on an 05 plate) and had No ploblems, it was a good car, bit firm a ride for my liking. Now he has a E280 cdi which he is just as keen on. Enjoy the car and i hope it is trouble free for you.

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
I had a Z1, a 5 series and a few 3 series. Loved them all, but I'm a Merc fan now. :D

meanie

Reaction score
I was just about to say that they're a bit tacky inside,then I remembered the 230 series SL that I'm prepping for its new owner.
Thing that puts me off about BM's is that parts prices can be terrifying (eg;DPFilter at £1120).Car had only done 80k.
Despite the different drivetrain layouts,I think that the Audi's make a better Merc alternative.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Sack cloth and ashes...

Have to admit that I did own a 535 in 1991/2 belonged to a Lord somebody or other from Exeter, think it was Lord Watford - could it have been TV before he was de-frocked:p

Also have to admit it went like the wind, particularly suited to my regular trips to the fatherland. Faults - I had a few, too few to mention but oh so expensive to put right. It is still around all tarted up with those Halford 'blue' underbody lights, go faster tail pipes, high speed stripes and of course a rather silly looking driver who wears black sun specs even at night. Oh yes and it is as rusty as 'ell

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Just had a mates wedding last weekend and we hired a E60 520d and a VW passat 09 plate.

Passat was lovely and a really classy car. Quite how someone would buy a Saab 93, Vectra/Insignia or Mondeo when they could buy a car like that beats me. Lovely refined 2litre diesel engine, easy light controls, comfy ride and ample performance. It exceed our expectations.

The 520d....plasticy inside, confusing pointless I drive controller and its handling was poor. Admittably this it was an SE but you'd really need an MSport as it was more boat like than car like. When cornerning I nearly bashed into the back of it when I was following and my speedy friend (he drives FAST) claimed it would go no faster. Despite BMWs efficient dynamics it was more thristy than my 220cdi, slower (in a straight and on corners), not as comfy or as agile. Positives, more interior room, it is more spacious widthwise and length wise inside the 5 series but its a longer and wider car and really a bit too big. Engine was quieter and smoother and really is quite an achievement. Autobox was very smooth and shift times were quicker (lastest 2008 ZF tranny). Even my diehard BMW liking friend admitted he felt the E class was a nicer car.

The 211 is the better car, and the passat probably for most people is the better car than the 5 series unless you really want RWD.

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
J

Passat was lovely and a really classy car. Quite how someone would buy a Saab 93, Vectra/Insignia or Mondeo when they could buy a car like that beats me. Lovely refined 2litre diesel engine, easy light controls, comfy ride and ample performance. It exceed our expectations.

I borrowed a 2002 2.0 Diesel Passat recently, and I was so impressed. It had 174,000 miles on it, yet the interior was still as if hewn from granite, and the seats were the most supportive and comfortable I've ever sat in; even better than an M3's. As for the acceleration, wow!

I want one!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I borrowed a 2002 2.0 Diesel Passat recently, and I was so impressed. It had 174,000 miles on it, yet the interior was still as if hewn from granite, and the seats were the most supportive and comfortable I've ever sat in; even better than an M3's. As for the acceleration, wow!

I want one!

That was the older one, one of the best made cars ever. The new ones are very nice, but not as solidly made. The Pump Duse diesel engines can cover very large miles. Not high pressure CR injection and relatively simple electronics. I was in a Skoda Superb 05 last year with 180k on it taxi and guy said all it needed was routine servicing and routine parts replaced. Said it was nice to drive and good on fuel.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I was just about to say that they're a bit tacky inside,then I remembered the 230 series SL that I'm prepping for its new owner.

I wouldn't have said mine was tacky, it's swathed in leather and as far as I' concerned, it's a very nice place to be.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom