Just bought a W123 230CE -HELP!

Sam.slc

Reaction score
Hi all

I've just bought a 1983 W123 230CE a gorgeous sexy pillarless classic. It's in quite good nick but as you'd expect it needs a bit of tlc. Body is great and I'm happy need advice on the following area's

1. Central locking (off-side) not always working.

2. Sunroff not working, previous owner said motor was ok but thinks it could be relay, advice on costs?

3. Looking for a New engine sound Mat, asked a few breakers including Merman but no joy, can you help?

Sam

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
1- probably a vacuum leak / valve / actuator in the door - parts not expensive .

2- there is a relay attached to the motor in the boot . If you have the key turned to the accessory position to enable the operation of the sunroof , but don't have the engine running , can you hear anything happening ? Perhaps you can get an assistant to operate the switch in the car and listen inside the boot for relay clicking/motor operating . If nothing happening , you can confirm mechanical operation of the roof by cranking the bolt next to the motor - on some models you pull a plastic knob to disengage the motor from the drive cable - this may be the problem if the motor spins but the roof does not move ? Assuming the fuse is OK ( worth replacing ALL fuses as they corrode at both ends and stop working even though they haven't blown ) next step is to get a voltmeter , pull the wiring plug from the motor and see if any voltage is reaching it . If you have power ( permanent supply there all the time and switched supply on two different pins depending on switch operation ) but don't hear relay clicking when switch is operated - suspect the relay - note the part number , you could get a cheap replacement from a breaker or a new one from dealer - these vary greatly in price so quote the part no over the phone to get a price . If the relay is clicking but the motor does not operate , suspect the motor - these are pricey new but you could pick one up from a breaker - most sunroof motors from W123/W124/W201/W126 I'd expect to be pretty similar - I'd look in a breakers and compare with your old unit - not so many W123's breaking these days , all gone to Africa , but one from another model will probably fit - check part no's .

3- sound deadening mat available new from dealer - about £40 for a 190E , closer to £100 for most other models .

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
1. When you open the boot lid lokk at the back of the rear panel and you will see a small panel that pops out next to the boot lock. Check the vacuum connections in there for leaks aswell.

Re sunroof, you will have to check for voltage at the switch.....the switch can be pulled out of the dash with care.

OP
S

Sam.slc

Reaction score
W123 230ce

Thanks guys for your help, am very green when it comes to Car Maintenence but I'm going to get manuals etc and give it a go car is such a pleasure to drive

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Haynes do a workshop manual for the W123 , although not specific to the coupe , it does contain a lot of information applicable to your car .

Good luck .

Top Bottom