just got an unblievable insurance renewal quote

OP
R

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
You might be surprised how little difference it makes. the CLK is group 16 & my last car was only group 10, but they both cost the same to insure.

I think the value of the car, age of the driver, his insurance history and other criteria are more relevant than the insurance group nowadays.

Russ

You may well be right Russ, however what amazes me to this afternoons phone calls I made, is that I brought the car six months old, 3 years back, the insurance, has been around yearly aprox: £550, £615, and more recently £650, plus a £30 surcharge for my mods on the car, and I did ring around during that time, now in year four, I am being told on my first call, its only £347 for the same cover with the mods, which insurance companies are generally not keen to quote on. Whilst i disagree with your insurance grouping coment, I agree very much with the age issure, if you have a clean license, and are of the right age group, I believe that there are savings to be made, and whilst the elders wish to be younger, the young ones want to be older, and all for the quest of cheaper car insurance, what a world!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Whilst i disagree with your insurance grouping coment, I agree very much with the age issure, if you have a clean license, and are of the right age group, I believe that there are savings to be made, and whilst the elders wish to be younger, the young ones want to be older, and all for the quest of cheaper car insurance, what a world!

Enjoy it while it lasts because I'm told as men get older, it starts to increase again. Right now is probably as low as you can get. :)

(Another point, when you bought the car 3 years ago, it would have been worth a hell of as lot more than it is now)

Russ

G

garysanderson

I was pleasantly surprised when I insured my new CLK55 for the first time a couple of months ago. I'd already decided that if the insurance was over a grand, I just wouldn't bother with the car and would stick with my trusty V6 Passat. Best quote for me @ 37 yrs old with wife as named driver, 4 years NCB (protected), 3 points from SP30 in 2005 came in at £686 from M&S (parking on drive, SD&P, etc). Kwik-Fit was cheaper but wanted a whacking £750 excess!

Now the really interesting bit... I re-registered with confused.com as an 18 yr old, living 'not with parents' (read: student flat) with three other car drivers at same address (none of whose insurance I was named on), with no NCB, license held for 6 months, no claims, no penalties, parking on the street at night and public car park during the day...... Drum roll..... £17,548 per annum....

Interesting excercise so thought I'd share :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Just for interest put fathers suzuki swift 1.0 on comparison site, he is over 80 full ncb, no restrictions,driveway parking,reasonable area, prices ranged from £305 to over £9,000 and no I did mean to type £9,000 fully comp!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
SL55 AMG, parked on drive, insured + spouse, fully protected and (I think) £250 excess - may have been £500

Thank you for requesting a quotation on your MERCEDES SL. We are delighted to be able to offer you our highly competitive rate as shown below:

Annual Premium £340
Motor Legal Protection FREE
Personal Accident & Road Rage cover for you & passengers (optional) £14
Total Payable £355

Adrian Flux 0800 505 3000 (policy with Norwich Union)

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
put the "spouse" on to reduce mine....funny as she cant see over the bonnet so chances of driving my sl 500 are limited! ( i hope)

Strange, but as the "spouse" doesn't drive, I tried putting my "clean" 35 year old daughter on the policy to try and reduce the cost, they came up with a quote of £180 more. :confused:

kristoff

Reaction score
Sureterm direct for me on the ML

27, full ncd, live in the ghetto but the cars garaged.

£447

cabey1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320 2001
For the last 3 yrs, Admiral (or their off shoot Elephant.co.uk) comes up the cheapest by a considerable way. Me and the missus on the policy, both 37, 01 Y Reg, <10k miles per annum for an SLK320 = 260 quid with a 150 XS.

I've also found in the past will happily price match a competitor and then you can start playing them off against each other. Overall, I found their policies to be inclusive of Legal, Windscreen and courtesy car. Any competitor who gets close to their prices, these things are optional extras.

This year their best quote via the phone matched what I was quoted by www.confused.com with Admiral. The added bonus is that Confused are now giving Nectar points on top of the policy!

Finally, I've never had to claim via Admiral, so the proof of the pudding etc. If anyone could tell me what their like in the event of a claim would be greatly appreciated.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
For the last 3 yrs, Admiral (or their off shoot Elephant.co.uk) comes up the cheapest by a considerable way. Me and the missus on the policy, both 37, 01 Y Reg, <10k miles per annum for an SLK320 = 260 quid with a 150 XS.

I've also found in the past will happily price match a competitor and then you can start playing them off against each other. Overall, I found their policies to be inclusive of Legal, Windscreen and courtesy car. Any competitor who gets close to their prices, these things are optional extras.

This year their best quote via the phone matched what I was quoted by www.confused.com with Admiral. The added bonus is that Confused are now giving Nectar points on top of the policy!

Finally, I've never had to claim via Admiral, so the proof of the pudding etc. If anyone could tell me what their like in the event of a claim would be greatly appreciated.

I agree on all points - I have Admiral Multicar. Their administration is excellent and the price is the best in town.

Happily, I have no experience of their claims handling either!

CycleSi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG with F1 Performance Pack
SL55 AMG, 43 years old. Direct Line = £459.

heathercat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230
SLK 230 8 years old, 9+ years NCB, 3 points on license and hubby as a named driver, parked on the drive overnight and when at home - £420 fully comp. with Zurich Connect. By the way being a 52 year old female probably helps!

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
The ''value'' of the car is an important factor. Insurers have threshholds that can make a dramatic difference, for example if your insurers' threshholds are £75k and £40k do not tell them that your car is worth £42k if £39k could reduce the premium substantially. I have only recently joined the MBO Club so I have not had the opportunity of testing the MBO preferential brokerage. For the record throughout my ownership of my SL 500 from new in September 2003 I have had a clean licence, maximum no claims discount (protected), life time tracker, legal cover, wife as a named driver and business use for both of us.
03...............£922.......Norwich Union through Mercedes Benz..mistake
04...............£523.......Privilege
05...............£499.......Privilege
06...............£502.......Privilege
07...............£459.......Privilege
08...............£327.......Privilege.....now not exceeding £40k threshhold
09...............£359.......Privilege.....premiums rising generally

Every year I get competitive quotes but because I am fundamentally lazy I have not changed insurers for the sake of a £10 saving but rather squeeze the best possible from my existing insurer. I do not think mid £300's is unreasonable.

Mic

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
09...............£359.......Privilege.....premiums rising generally

I too have seen several years of decreasing premiums on all our policies, but it seems they are increasing - Just renewed the insurance on daughter's car (she pays, I do the donkey work) and that's gone up for the first time since she started driving. Normally I run through a couple of comparison sites and get a premium that's about £100 less than her renewal, then go back to her insurer (Admiral) and they pretend to mess around with the computer and then match the price I've got.

This year the messing around with the computer produced a premium that was higher than the renewal, so ended up switching to Zurich, but still paid a little more than last year.

Telviking

Reaction score
The Merc C180 £200 f-comp, the Evo 7 costs £620 f-comp, the Vw van £320 f- comp, the Yamaha R1 £300 ish f-comp.

So it costs me £1400 ish a year for Insurance!:shock:

Wonder if I can get them all on the same policy?

The Merc is cheaper to insure than the little old Mini I had a couple of years ago!

HeavyOil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
202 & 463
I agree on all points - I have Admiral Multicar. Their administration is excellent and the price is the best in town.

Happily, I have no experience of their claims handling either!

I had a claim with Admiral - my only car insurance claim to date. Service was OK and I still insure with them.

But the 'Legal Protection' firm they provided was appalling - a succession of five unqualified legal trainees trying to claim damages from the 3rd party. I had several good causes to report that firm to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. However I think that is true of almost all 'no win, no fee' solicitors. Mine charges over £300/hour and she is good value when needs be.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I think our Mercedes is about £240 fully comp, which I thought was quite good. That is with SAGA :D

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Protected no claims is an expensive option (currently £61.95 of my £359.10 premium) at 17.25% of the total or a 20.85% extra. It may protect your NCD but it does not protect your premium as my younger daughter discovered. The increased renewal premium for the year following an incident outweighed the the cost and benefits of the protected no claims; in the first year at least. Is protection worth the extra cost or is it a bit of a scam?
One of you may well have a definitive answer?

Mic

geezer255

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311cdi - Shogun Sport
Avviva(Norwich Union) are good at giving prices but just wait till you want to make a claim...... unless its totally clear cut the wonderfully helpful staff in their Indian call centre arent able to deal with anything that isnt on their script and refuse to put you through to anyone in the UK......

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom