K&N air Filter for CLC is it worth extra cost ?

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDI sport 2008, C200 Sport Estate 205 series 2015
Hi
The K&N publicity leads you to understand that their air filters improve performance and are a real improvement. Are they worth fitting or should I stick with the Mercedes OEM air filter.

I have a CLC 220CDI and the K&N filter that should fit as far as I can see is
E-2018 at best cost £555-85 from DemonTweekDirect online.
Any thoughts and advise from the owners who know and have been here before.

Thanks. Nikki

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
No, placebo effect only. Won't do a thing unless your engine is remapped for much greater breathing requirements. Stick with standard filters.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Agree with Craig, I had K&Ns on my SL500 and it didn't make any performance difference at all, it did change the engine note to a more aggressive tone though.
That could be reason enough for you of course !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Oh and I assume you mean 55.85 not 555.85!
Try Euro car parts if you're set on buying them or K & N direct

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
20 quid for a genuine mb air filter on a c220, just change it every 10k.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
K&N are a marketing success story.
They will have you believe their filters filter better and flow more air and do the clog as quickly. These are competing and conflicting requirements.
The job of a filter is extract dirt from air so if it 'clogs' it's doing its job. The only way you increase airflow without compromising filtering is to increase surface area. Given an air box is a fixed volume there is very little opportunity to increase surface area without creating flow issues elsewhere.

There have been numerous tests on filtration performance of various filters and in virtually all cases the paper element filters comes out tops.
Test for flow slow a marginal improvement with K&N filters but not enough to be noticeable (and no more than you'd get between different brands of stock air filters).

K&N filters are cleanable and reusable but frankly I'd rather know the filter I put on was as close to spotless as possible rather than worry about and dirt being washed through where it could be drawn into the engine. A washed filter also needs reoiling which if not done correctly can cause oil deposits on the MAF sensor. A MAF is far more expensive than an air filter!

In short for most people it's a waste of money.

britnordic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 SLK 200 & 2013 E Class 220
I had a K&N on a C estate 220 cdi, noise was better and that's all!

Never fitted one again, standard filter is best, no brainer imho

Tony

B

brick10

I have had K&N filters on cars in the past and i think they are a waste of money.

OP
N

Nikki2512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDI sport 2008, C200 Sport Estate 205 series 2015
Thanks for the feedback which has been helpful and dare I say consistent. In summary appears to be not worth the extra money and potentially more trouble if not maintained correctly.

Thanks once again for everyone's input saved me time and money.

Nikki

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom