Key Fob problem....

Bazzjazz

Reaction score
Website
www.bmcdesign.com
Your Mercedes
E300TD Estate
Hi -

I haven't been able to find the solution to my problem searching here, so i thought I'd post to get some opinions. i have a '99 E300TD and after replacing the batteries on the fob, the fob has stopped working. It will still start the car, but the buttons don't work for the central locking or alarm. I have a feeling I put the new batteries in the wrong way round first, so might have fried it??

Put the old batteries back in and it still doesn't work. I've been told a replacement fob is the only option, but I am wondering about getting one off E-Bay (Mercedes replacement is €250!).

Maybe someone could tell me if buying a new fob from Ebay and putting in my existing key will work? I assume I also need to sync or calibrate it also?

Here's a photo of my existing fob:
photo5.jpg

and here's what I am thinking of getting

or this

or this

Can anyone tell me if they think they are compatible?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Barry

6pot

no!!! never buy keys off ebay, they can t be recoded. Only usefull for spares

OP
B

Bazzjazz

Reaction score
Website
www.bmcdesign.com
Your Mercedes
E300TD Estate
Thanks for the heads-up!

I think I just have to bite the bullet and order a new one from Mercedes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The chances are that I can fix the old one for you

OP
B

Bazzjazz

Reaction score
Website
www.bmcdesign.com
Your Mercedes
E300TD Estate
That would be great Malcolm, but the only problem is I don't have a spare key to use while I send it to you.

I will get a new one and then send the old one to you to see if you can fix it, so at least i would have a working spare.

I'll pm you for contact details when I get the new one if thats ok?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That would be great Malcolm, but the only problem is I don't have a spare key to use while I send it to you.

I will get a new one and then send the old one to you to see if you can fix it, so at least i would have a working spare.

I'll pm you for contact details when I get the new one if thats ok?

Thats fine with me,,I do not charge very much

H

hoffmath

Same problem - simple fix?

Malcom,

I'm having the same issue with my 2004 c230K fob. It has worked since I got the car a few months ago. I had some service done on it and afterwards it worked to open the car, I drove for 30 minutes, parked, locked the doors and walked off. Returning in 10 minutes, I found that the fob had somehow stopped working with the doors. Nothing strange happened (no dropping or water contact), so I replaced the batteries and checked the IR in a digital camera. All seems in working order, it just basically stopped working with the car.

I have no spare, can use the mechanical key to get in and the fob to start the car, but I can't engage or disengage the alarm with the fob anymore. Is there a simple fix?

Best,
-Dave Hoffman

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do not think that there is a simple fix, all one can do is to check the through hole plating on the PCB, you say the IR is working and the beam can be seen, it may have drifted out of range

H

hoffmath

Believe it or not...

As though I really needed an excuse to look the fool... I walked out to the car the next day, pressed the unlock button, and was floored when the fob worked. I did nothing to it overnight, apart from leave it on the dresser?! I guess it's probably best to chalk it up to "Gremlins".

Best, and thanks for the help!
-Dave Hoffman

P

Pocok

Hi Malcolm

The same happend with my C 200 w202.
After work a just couldnt open the car with my fod. I tuk the spar key,changed the battery,just maneged to open the central lock with it but when i got home tryed 2 close it but i couldnt. battery got flat. Bought i new 1 but still aint working. How can i reset it or can u fix it 4 me?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You cannot do much your self other than point it into a digital camera to see if the IR beam is there

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 12

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I may be able to fix it

P

Pocok

Can u send me your contact number so i can call u and talk about it ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pop up your Email details and I will contact you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I have replied,,you can take away the address in edit

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom