Key hole covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
They've made it to 10 years without rusting like the rest of the car. I'll spray some PTFE when I remember.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
They've made it to 10 years without rusting like the rest of the car. I'll spray some PTFE when I remember.

Indeed...but they can be colour coded and add that little something extra.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It’s completely misleading to suggest or to imply that the absence of these lock covers from the key hole will result in corrosion and failure of the lock, regular testing with the key blade and lubrication of the locks is important and should be done as preventative maintenance about three or four times a year.

Door and boot locks have drain holes to remove water should any enter the key hole, the keyhole spring loaded flap is adequate to keep out dirt. Locks don’t freeze, it’s the water around the keyhole flap that freezes.

A barrel in most boots is vertical with no drain holes, if the flap was adequate the locks would not corrode

The lock covers are fitted for cosmetic purposes and to give the impression of a superior car that doesn’t appear to need a key hole.

Dec

That is rubbish as you cannot see it without laying on the ground or with the boot open,,, and on the face of the cover the is a picture of a key :D

So once again if you have not seen or used one do not talk about what you do not know

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My first 210 had them as standard...very nice they looked too. The present one doesn't have them....the locks (all of them ) still work after 12 years.

If you want to buy them then do so, but, as Dec says, they can be merely cosmetic, the other values are not proven.

They are not cosmetic they are in WIS for use in bad driving environments

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
That is rubbish as you cannot see it without laying on the ground or with the boot open,,, and on the face of the cover the is a picture of a key :D

So once again if you have not seen or used one do not talk about what you do not know

I think that is what Dec means...it is vertical, the face points down to the ground.

Play nicely.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that is what Dec means...it is vertical, the face points down to the ground.

Play nicely.

Yes and water gets in through the flap, that is not water tight, and no drain hole, there is just no way that water can get in with these caps on, they snap into place and need a little pressure to push them in

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Enough said from both sides. Thanks for the advice Malc.

Probably nothing more to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom