Key locked in boot, battery off...

sampride000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 CLS 320 CDI
I've had a few electrical problems which resulted in a diagnoses of a bad aux battery on my 06 CLS 320cdi. I have one on order, but in the mean time have been taking the negative connection off the main battery in the boot whenever I leave it for a few hours to avoid drainage.

Yesterday while getting ready for a round of golf, I managed closed the boot and I guess it managed to lock itself in (though that hasn't happened before, the rest of the car was unlocked?).

I called the AA and he couldn't do anything. Didn't think it was worth trying to jump it from another point and use the central locking and we couldn't get access to the boot. It was a sunday so rather than hastily call an auto locksmith, I thought I would leave it safe and sound in the golf club car park and have a think about what to do.

So far here are my ideas:

1: try to get a replacement blade made by MB
2: Auto locksmith and a £300+ bill
3: One of you glorious people will have a better idea

Never before has the boot locked itself when the rest of the car was open. I initially thought I must have dropped the key, but hadn't gone very far and couldn't find it. Is this possible?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is the main key locked in the boot ???

OP
S

sampride000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 CLS 320 CDI
Yes, the main key and blade are locked in the boot. There is a spare, but as it was (presumably) a replacement made by the last owner, the fob was programmed but the blade was not replaced

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK your options are

Go to your MB dealer with the V5 and ID for where you live and ask for a new metal blade key, the cost £35 and a few days wait.

If you other key fob works, you could join up a 12 volt supply to a point under the bonnet or the large terminal on the starter motor. this would have to be a 12 volt battery and not a battery charger as the voltage would be far too high.

OP
S

sampride000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 CLS 320 CDI
Thank you so much. Would this work even though the negative terminal has been physically removed from the rear/main battery? I'm not sure if it would have broken a the circuit and rendered the rest of the electrical system useless?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The metal blade would work even with no battery.

I would have to work out where you could connect the 12 volt to, to be able to use your spare remote, as before the starter motor is a good one but hard to get to.

The battery wire off would not affect it.

Last edited:
OP
S

sampride000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 CLS 320 CDI
The metal blade would work even with no battery.

I would have to work out where you could connect the 12 volt to, to be able to use your spare remote, as before the starter motor is a good one but hard to get to.

The battery wire off would not affect it.

Fantastic, thank you. Would the prefuse box under the passenger side foot well work?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will check now for you.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes the pre fuse box is in the passenger foot well, it just needs 12 volt so that you can use the remote.

F65 in the engine compartment is for the EIS and just touching the hole in the fuse could also energize the 12 volt circuit but the pre fuse box is the best and safest way to go

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom