Key won't open door or start ignition

dm44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 Kompressor 2009 coupe 1.8
Hi Guys,

Bought a clk200 coupe 2009 few weeks ago. Today the remote key/fob wouldn't open door so got in using the metal key. First I was about to switch dashboard but after trying to start engine the dashboard died. Now the key won't even turn.

I have two remote keys and neither work. Read somewhere about steering lock and I tried moving it while attemping to ignite but no luck.

Anyone face similar? Any suggestions? I want to check the fuse but I can't see key hole in the boot. I'm really stuck :(

OP
D

dm44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for getting back. Apologies for my ignorance, but what is EIS? And who would RMK be?

I wanted to check my fuse as I read someone had a similar issue to mine and they solved this by changing the fuse - do you or anyone else know where this would be located?

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Both run on separate systems so strange both would fail (locks and ignition)

EIS is the ignition system. I wonder if the ESL (electronic steering lock) has failed? But then coincidence on the fob not working.

RMK are www.replacementmercedeskey.co.uk and are supporters/members here

OP
D

dm44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. I have two remote keys and both suddenly stopped working...so I don't think the key is the issue which is why I thought maybe it could be dead fuse. Is it possible the car battery to have died? Would that stop the keys to function?

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Thanks. I have two remote keys and both suddenly stopped working...so I don't think the key is the issue which is why I thought maybe it could be dead fuse. Is it possible the car battery to have died? Would that stop the keys to function?

Yes. Could well be the issue

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

I had one key do exactly that, went to the backup key but it wouldn't open door or start car.
Called Mobilo breakdown suspecting ign switch .. EIS and lord knows what else.

They found my normal key was kaput. Taking out the batteries as it had a slight rattle, and a bit off one of the thingies on the pcb board had come off!
Suspected the key had been dropped ... has yours?

As for the backup key ... drrr that had a flat battery! .. strong enough to get the little red light to blink when you pressed any button but not strong enough to open a door or start the car or turn off the alarm when opened with the metal key.

Swapped batteries all good on second key, but Mobilo put in new batteries for me.
Bought new key at MD £££ s ouch.
( will try a repair on the broken one but needed one bombproof key )

And put those shock-absorbing neoprene slips on both. :)

OP
D

dm44

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the replies/suggestions. It turned out my car's battery was completely flat. I have no idea why :(

At least - that was all. I just didn't think it would stop me from using the remote key to open the door!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom