Keyless entry secure from Scanners?

Ian.M

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d AMG line premium Cabriolet
Hi,
Just picked up an 18 plate E220d Cabriolet with keyless entry. On my old 16 plate similar car I could just remove the keyless entry gizmo from the ignition. Is the more recent version still susceptible to a key scamming theft or has the security improved?
Just wondering as can’t see any info anywhere.
Cheers
Ian

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I should presume that all keyless entry systems are susceptible, rest assured the thieves will be working as we speak on those that claim they are not!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Get an RF pouch for your key

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Starting in “Summer 2018”, Mercedes keys have a built in motion detector so they switch off their signal when they are still. I tested mine by unlocking and locking the car as normal and then leaving the key next it for a couple of minutes. I then tried again and the car wouldn’t unlock but moved the key and it unlocked as normal.

For security reasons, they have not been more specific than mid 2018 so it depends when your car was built but it’s easy to test it. Mine was an August 2018 build.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ this and the RF pouch BC mentioned from the bay of plenty or amazing ...

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Annoying to buy keyless and then having to press buttons and use pouches .....kind of defeats the purpose. Even the new MB key will be susceptible as the scumbags can follow you around the shops with a backpack unit that will do the job for them.

I'd get the Autowatch Ghost if I had keyless.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I can see the point in keyless start but why keyless entry it seems a technology step too far for 99% of drivers. It doesn’t negate the need for a key/card to be present when the car is driven so you’d have to add the maxim ‘I can so I will’ as the only point to it’s introduction. If car designers really wanted to impress why not do it right with biometrics.

When you look at tech generally I think the best innovation was central locking including child locks for the rear doors seconded by seat belt assisters in coupes - no doubt readers have their own favourites.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I can see the point in keyless start but why keyless entry it seems a technology step too far for 99% of drivers. It doesn’t negate the need for a key/card to be present when the car is driven so you’d have to add the maxim ‘I can so I will’ as the only point to it’s introduction. If car designers really wanted to impress why not do it right with biometrics.

When you look at tech generally I think the best innovation was central locking including child locks for the rear doors seconded by seat belt assisters in coupes - no doubt readers have their own favourites.

I've had keyless in two previous cars and honestly do not miss it.

I don't like a bunch of keys in my pocket while driving and the keys always ended up in the cup holder with my phone and wallet (so were in my hand anyway) and then I had to remember to grab them when leaving the car. Grabbing my keys on the way out (and not fiddling to get them out the FC pouch) pressing a button to open the doors and sticking the key in the ignition and turning it - no sweat.

OTOH, my wife liked it as there was no grovelling in the handbag to find the keys.......

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should" :rolleyes: Applies to more and more tech fitted into new cars to try and tempt buyers from their current car. It is also brought to market quite a bit sooner than it should as it's often full of software bugs and not tested enough in an automotive environment.
I also put electric tailgates into this category, there's been a few with issues on here. I was looking at a new SL400 and even though the roof was folded away the electric boot lid wouldn't close - dealer had to put the roof back up as they couldn't get the boot to stay closed. As electric motors have become cheaper and cheaper they're fitted to more and more previously manual operations.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
^ totally agree - the annoying factor in all this is that since the introduction of keyless entry the car crime rate has soared from quite a low base and unfortunately we are all paying for this car manufacturers are blameless of course which leads me to think more governance is required

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have had Keyless Entry on a non MB. What the hand book said was that when you walk away from the car the car locked itself. I never had the courage to trust that, plus how do you be sure ? If you are on your own you can't just put your keys down and go back and check. If you return to the car it unlocks anyway. There was obviously a button on the fob for locking the car but I didn't like or trust the system at all. :(

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Don't the indicators should still flash when it locks and wing mirrors fold in? Has on the hire cars I have had (non merc) that had this function.

As someone mentioned the so called fix of disabling after a lack of movement is useless when you are walking across a car park or nearby. Its only really of any use then parked overnight.

Also be careful with faraday pouches and test them on a weekly basis as the do fail, some very quickly if used daily.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Don't the indicators should still flash when it locks and wing mirrors fold in? Has on the hire cars I have had (non merc) that had this function.

As someone mentioned the so called fix of disabling after a lack of movement is useless when you are walking across a car park or nearby. Its only really of any use then parked overnight.

Also be careful with faraday pouches and test them on a weekly basis as the do fail, some very quickly if used daily.

Faraday pouches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrJon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Cab 2017
Keefysher mentioned "double clicking" which I had heard about elsewhere. Does that really work?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom