Keys again...

T

tobytoolbag

Apologies if this has already been covered :Oops:, but I started to lose the will to live reading through the fifteenth page of key problems thrown up by the search function!!

I have a W210 W-reg 2000 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate, which was bought second hand from a non-Merc dealer back in February. It came with two two-button keys, both of which will open the central locking.

However, one doesn't seem to 'bind' with the ignition (there's no faint 'click' when you put the key into the ignition) to allow me to turn the key to any position other than '0'.

I've changed the batteries, verified that the IR is working using a digital camera, and tried a number of remote keypress options thrown up by my slightly less-than-exhaustive search as to how I might cure the problem. But I still can't turn the key.:confused:

Please tell me that I won't have to fork out £150 to get a Merc dealer (my nearest one is a three-hour ferry ride plus about an hour and a half of driving away!) to reprogramme what I was told was the spare key for the car and assumed would work as well as the other one that I was given.

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When the key is in the ignition it is powered from the car, do make sure that the red window is clean on the end, and try leaving it in the igntion switch for up to 90 mins

OP
T

tobytoolbag

When the key is in the ignition it is powered from the car, do make sure that the red window is clean on the end, and try leaving it in the igntion switch for up to 90 mins
Nope - still not working. Am I missing something, like keeping the door open whilst it's in the ignition or something like that? (Thankfully, crime up here is extremely low, so I can leave the car unlocked with the key in the ignition and it's highly unlikely to get nicked!)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Looks like all the scum bags will holidaying in the Hebrides this year

OP
T

tobytoolbag

Looks like all the scum bags will holidaying in the Hebrides this year
They'll have a job getting their ill-gotten gains off the island - there aren't that many ferries each day, and it's like shooting fish in a barrel for 'the plod' to pick 'em up at the ferry port trying to make a getaway!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then if the key has been dropped, a coil can fall off on some keys

Attachments

• Picture 608.jpg
    Picture 608.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
T

tobytoolbag

Then if the key has been dropped, a coil can fall off on some keys
I haven't dropped it, but it may have been before I took ownership of the car. It does rattle if you shake it - how do you get the circuit board out without breaking it?

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The white nylon strip that its under the PCB has a catch on it, you slide a thin bladed knife in and then along to release the catch and it all slides out

Attachments

• Picture 609.jpg
    Picture 609.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11
OP
T

tobytoolbag

The white nylon strip that its under the PCB has a catch on it, you slide a thin bladed knife in and then along to release the catch and it all slides out
Managed to break the catch getting it out, but have managed to slide the PCB out, and you're perfectly correct in your diagnosis - the coil's broken loose.

Not sure how I go about fixing it - if it's at all possible. The coil assembly seems to have snapped near the base and little wires from the coil to the solder joint are also severed. Is it terminal? ('scuse the pun!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you could buy one from Ebay and transfer the coil over, later keys have a more robust fitting for the coil

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom