Kick in steering wheel

Sharvy

Reaction score
I have just put on 4 new mid range tyres on my 2005 W211 estate. Since then I have been getting a "kick" in the steering wheel from starting off approx 40 mph. I have taken it back to the the tyre fitters and they changed the front wheels to the back rebalanced and realigned the steering still no better.

I have jacked the car up and there is evidence of a worn track rod end and with a pri-bar I can't get any movement in any of the lower ball joints, link arms etc.

I was wonder if anyone had come across this before or got any ideas.

Cheers

Sharvy

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
You've already suggested one culprit. Change the track rod ends and have it re-tracked first then see what else, if anything, is amiss.

OP
S

Sharvy

Reaction score
You've already suggested one culprit. Change the track rod ends and have it re-tracked first then see what else, if anything, is amiss.

got wheel off and changed the bottom ball joint but what is causing the kick in the steering is the suspension tie rod worn, the alloy one with the big rubber bush on one end and the tapered joint on the other. The ball joint end is moving up and down a fair bit. I have priced one at £70 + vat. Getting it tomorrow and I'll post results.

Cheers

OP
S

Sharvy

Reaction score
got wheel off and changed the bottom ball joint but what is causing the kick in the steering is the suspension tie rod worn, the alloy one with the big rubber bush on one end and the tapered joint on the other. The ball joint end is moving up and down a fair bit. I have priced one at £70 + vat. Getting it tomorrow and I'll post results.

Cheers

hi just fitted the tie rod and it has cured the problem.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
.....the kick in the steering is the suspension tie rod
Hi
Glad it is cured.
What is the 'suspension tie rod', a diagram will be appreciated.
Cheers.

OP
S

Sharvy

Reaction score
Hi
Glad it is cured.
What is the 'suspension tie rod', a diagram will be appreciated.
Cheers.
I have seen a diagram of the front suspension but now i can't find it on this forum, but the tie rod is fixed at one to the chassis cross member and has a large rubber bush. the other end has a tapered joint that mounts right beside the bottom ball joint on the from hub. It's made of allow and has a "dog leg" kink in it and is approx 2ft long, I know it would have been easier to take a pic!!

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Top Bottom