Kickdown Question

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180 Kompressor Coupe (57 reg)
I recently had a boost problem on my 2002 C220 CDi.

Excellent advice from this forum led to a gutted Cat and an almost unbelievable and immediate increase in power. Seriously - the car goes better than I can ever remember.

One question. A squeeze on the accelerator at, say, 55mph delivers a smooth (but impressive) increase in speed with (if needed) gentle gear changes, one down and one back up. But if I stamp on the pedal the old kickdown response (down two gears) isn't there.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining - the car is running like a dream and there's plenty of that smooth power for my needs and I do wonder what madness would result if kickdown was available.

So is the lack of kickdown just a response to the removal of the Cat restriction (ie the drivetrain saying "I can handle this without kicking down two gears now") or is it something more sinister? The cruise control still works so I think that rules out the old brake-switch problem.

Any ideas?

OP
rolfy

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What mode is the gearbox in?

I'll check - I tend to use W as I prefer the lower rev change up but the missus always switches to S.

Is it really that simple?.......:shock:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I found that the W to S change made driving my CL significantly different, MUCH quicker away from the line.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if I stamp on the pedal the old kickdown response (down two gears) isn't there.

kickdown (of an auto box) its not just pedal movement, on most cars its activating a switch (or on old stuff a valve via a cable) once full throttle is achieved .... thick carpets, bad adjustment or not trying hard enough can result in a lack of kickdown....

alternately you might just be referring to part throttle down changes, this is influenced by sport / comfort / winter / economy switch setting, and or throttle opening (and in some ways modified badly by the retarded computer trying to understand your driving style)

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above the changes are more responsive in S, but pressing the pedal all the way down should over ride this if in W. there is a kick down switch on the throttle, could the ones that fixed the car have left the wire plug off.

You can test this by engaging the limiter, set it to say 30mph, and by pressing the pedal to the floor it should over ride the limiter, if no kick down I would say that the plug is off or a faulty switch.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That is very interesting Malcolm, I didn't know that!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is very interesting Malcolm, I didn't know that!

This has to be the case to get out of trouble if the limiter is set, and you need to over ride it in an emergency.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Sometimes my 5-g kickdown can be a bit dopey, it'll drop down so the engine is in the red and immediately have to change up again.

I tend not to use it, the rare times I really need to drop a gear I do it manually with the stick.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Over the experience of several 5G boxes, I have found that kickdown sensitivity - and response time - varies a lot.

The kickdown in my previous 203 cdi was extremely sensitive and fast, but my present 204 cdi (both cars with the 646 engine) is slow and deliberate.

I tend to anticipatr a change down and use the tiptronic when necessary.

Umble.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Over the experience of several 5G boxes, I have found that kickdown sensitivity - and response time - varies a lot.

The kickdown in my previous 203 cdi was extremely sensitive and fast, but my present 204 cdi (both cars with the 646 engine) is slow and deliberate.

I tend to anticipatr a change down and use the tiptronic when necessary.

Umble.

There is quite a differences between the 772 and the 7G, the 7g is more responsive.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
There is quite a differences between the 772 and the 7G, the 7g is more responsive.

Think the OP has the 722.6 box Malcolm, which was why I tried to show that they seem to vary in their responsiveness from box to box (my 204 has the 722.6 box, not the 7g box, which was one reason why I bought it - same box as my earlier 203's).

Umble

OP
rolfy

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above the changes are more responsive in S, but pressing the pedal all the way down should over ride this if in W. there is a kick down switch on the throttle, could the ones that fixed the car have left the wire plug off.

You can test this by engaging the limiter, set it to say 30mph, and by pressing the pedal to the floor it should over ride the limiter, if no kick down I would say that the plug is off or a faulty switch.

Finally got round to trying this the other day and there is no kickdown response and the speed remains limited. Any simple things I can try to get to the nub of the problem? (I'm no mechanic).

Could it be related in some way to the Cat removal?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Finally got round to trying this the other day and there is no kickdown response and the speed remains limited. Any simple things I can try to get to the nub of the problem? (I'm no mechanic).

Could it be related in some way to the Cat removal?

You did push the pedal hard to the floor? It does have a resistance at the end of the travel. If so and it didn't delimit itslef your pedal is faulty most likely.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes as above the pedal has to be hard all the way down, if it does not work, check that it is connected up OK

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A 2nd hand replacement pedal assy for my CL (same as W220) cost me £70 from the Bay, and took all of 5 minutes to swap out. One nut, 2 plugs.

OP
rolfy

rolfy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You did push the pedal hard to the floor? It does have a resistance at the end of the travel. If so and it didn't delimit itslef your pedal is faulty most likely.

Yes - properly stamped on it - I'll check the switch. Should I feel a "click" anyway?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes there should be a 'click' on the very end of the travel.
Also check nothing is getting under the pedal (mats, carpet, coins, empty coke cans etc - just kidding on the coke can!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes often carpet and mats can stop this switch from working.

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
Rolfy.
Good to hear you finally de catted!
De-catting does not affect the kick down switch operating. Certainly hasn't on my de-catted beastie anyway. Might be worth resetting the adaptive gearbox first then trying to kick her down. (Search on here or google it).
Made a world of difference to mine and may be a cheap fix for you before costly ones because, I assume, the two differing driving styles of you and wife may be confusing the gearbox. It learns your driving 'style' and adapts to it!!

If this does not help then, as others have said, its more than likely the pedal switch. Remove the pedal, check it with multi tester or light bulb and battery etc. then replace the pedal if the test fails. :D

Hope you get it sorted.
Let us know the result.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom