Knocking noise from steering system

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
When going over bumpy roads I've suddenly noticed a "knocking" noise and felt vibrations on the steering wheel.

With the engine off and wheels straight, if the steering wheel is rocked left and right a mechanical knocking can be heard from the right wheel and sounds like its coming from the tie rod. I visited a tyre shop who've said new tie-rods are needed and have quoted £100 a side fully fitted + wheel alignment after. They say the ball joints have no free play and are fine though whilst looking never lifted the car off the ground (which I thought would be necessary to check this).

Car is '96 w124 e220, 147k miles.

Ready to book car in as £100 a side sounds reasonable, and mechanic said the new tie rods could solve the slight wandering at speed i've had for a good few months now, particularly as i had the rear suspension checked out twice and both garages said it was fine.

Just be interested to hear everyone's comments as to whether the diagnosis sounds reasonable and anything else that should be done while the tie rods are off.

Ben

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Did the tyre shop offer a crystal ball reading for you as well once they'd done one for your car?

IMHO, if they haven't had it off the ground, they cannot posibly diagnose and you could possibly find yourself £200 (and the rest) poorer but still rich in terms of knocking noises.

Also, alignment on MB front end is not a job for the quack-foot fitter.

But maybe I am mistaken - others with much more experience will no doubt confirm or correct what I've said - at least seek a second opinion :D:D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom