Latest update re my C220 Majestic Beauty!!!!

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Diagnostic tool updated and working. All components back in. Wheels put back on and turning. Made sure before I lowered her. Rear wheels move slightly. Bought more fuel to make sure there was at least 5 litres in her. Went to start her and,.....well, take a listen. Almost like she’s not firing. Any ideas?

Okay, small addition, why won’t my video upload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Upload it to youtube and link it back here

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Sometimes - especially when you've removed the injectors and fuel supply lines - you may need to churn for ages before your motor fires. Before now, I've flattened a good battery (646 motor) after I've worked on the fuel lines before the engine fires up.
Once running it should be sweet as silk - as long as you've done everything right!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above. You need to remove the air from the system before it will run. That can take a lot of cranking. Don't do it all in one go. Let the starter rest between attempts. On some engines you can crack the fuel line to the injectors to help remove the air but be very very careful if doing this.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Fuel - or lack of

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Fuel - or lack of

Bought and put in 5 litres yesterday just to make absolutely sure there was fuel. It may not have reached the injectors yet though. Or the new fuel filter. On that point, does one need to ‘prime’ a new fuel filter and if so how?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Can I just double check something. Are there any fuses for the glow plugs? If so what number are they in the front SAM unit and where are the spare fuses stored if any?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Bought and put in 5 litres yesterday just to make absolutely sure there was fuel. It may not have reached the injectors yet though. Or the new fuel filter. On that point, does one need to ‘prime’ a new fuel filter and if so how?

Section 1.15.25 of your Haynes manual says not, start the engine raise revs to 2k a few times and leave at idle to purge, if running rough, repeat until purged. Come on Robbie, give yourself a shake, you've got half the bl00dy forum suspended on tenterhooks here waiting for the news of the engine running, take a lead from your namesake, "When at first you don't succeed" turn the key, keep turning until it starts!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Section 1.15.25 of your Haynes manual says not, start the engine raise revs to 2k a few times and leave at idle to purge, if running rough, repeat until purged. Come on Robbie, give yourself a shake, you've got half the bl00dy forum suspended on tenterhooks here waiting for the news of the engine running, take a lead from your namesake, "When at first you don't succeed" turn the key, keep turning until it starts!

And from my side this was only supposed to take a ‘week’ to fix back in May!!!! 5 months later after all the challenges I’ve had, I will be SO glad to hear the purr of that engine. Then I can get her Mot’d and finally drive her home again. After a damn good clean!!! She looks a bit worse for wear. Bless her.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Okay. Re attempted start, still not alive. We’ve noticed a faint but distinct high frequency constant tone coming from the area around the starter motor. Any ideas what this might be?
Battery now back on charge using mains powered battery charger. Lovely bit of kit.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your's is a W203, I'm guessing.

This model had a saddle tank - practically, a tank in two halves joined by a pipe. If the tank was low, or drained, five months ago, it is probable that you haven't yet put enough fuel in it.
Check the exact position of the whine that you are hearing. It is possible that it could be the sound of the fuel lift pump trying to pull diesel from an almost dry tank. Yes - the lift pump is not by the starter motor, but noise is sometimes difficult to pinpoint.

Easy to check if fuel is getting as far as the high pressure pump: With the engine off, pull off the outlet pipe from the fuel filter, then turn the ignition switch to 'on'. you should hear the quiet whine of the lift pump in the tank, and fuel should flow from the filter.

If that's happening, reconnect the pipe, then - still with the engine off - crack open one of the injector feed pipes, and turn the engine over on the starter. Fuel should start to squirt from the loosened pipe. If all that works, then the engine should start with plenty of cranking.

In this weather the 646 engine will start even without the glowplugs working after a bit of cranking, unless there is another undiscovered fault.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Your's is a W203, I'm guessing.

This model had a saddle tank - practically, a tank in two halves joined by a pipe. If the tank was low, or drained, five months ago, it is probable that you haven't yet put enough fuel in it.
Check the exact position of the whine that you are hearing. It is possible that it could be the sound of the fuel lift pump trying to pull diesel from an almost dry tank. Yes - the lift pump is not by the starter motor, but noise is sometimes difficult to pinpoint.

Easy to check if fuel is getting as far as the high pressure pump: With the engine off, pull off the outlet pipe from the fuel filter, then turn the ignition switch to 'on'. you should hear the quiet whine of the lift pump in the tank, and fuel should flow from the filter.

If that's happening, reconnect the pipe, then - still with the engine off - crack open one of the injector feed pipes, and turn the engine over on the starter. Fuel should start to squirt from the loosened pipe. If all that works, then the engine should start with plenty of cranking, unless there is another unfound fault.

Well the S203 yes. With an OM646.963 engine. Okay. Will test those suggestions and see what happens.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So your's is the Estate version?
Just curious - makes no difference to what I have said above.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yk! You can flush out the tank and delivery pipework, or - and this is what I'd do - you can keep the pipe disconnected as is, and allow the fuel to flow until it runs clear.
- that's for starters (scuse pun).

Cause is probably water in the diesel over a period of time.

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Would one of those sucker oil change pumps have a long enough/flexible enough suction to get to the bottom of the fuel tank? Might be somewhat less messy than squirting it out.

Top Bottom