Latest update re my C220 Majestic Beauty!!!!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hydraulic lock of the engine I believe - cylinders full of water

Hmmm. I was going to say, on the video, the compression sounds a bit low....

These can sound like that, especially when laid up for a while, as lifters bleed down etc, but given its history there could be damage.

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At last. Video has uploaded:-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second video sounds a bit better.

You need to empty the tank, that is water and diesel being mixed together. Did the hydro lock come from driving into water?

Once the tank is empty, get some fresh diesel in it. New fuel filter and make sure you have clean diesel at the filter.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I noticed your charger is set on a 'start' setting, what voltage is that outputting? anything greater than a charging voltage while your battery is connected to your car of c14.5v will not be doing your electronics any good at all!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009

You need to empty the tank, that is water and diesel being mixed together. Did the hydro lock come from driving into water?

Once the tank is empty, get some fresh diesel in it. New fuel filter and make sure you have clean diesel at the filter.

That Was a brand new fuel filter!!! Are you telling me to replace that again then?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I noticed your charger is set on a 'start' setting, what voltage is that outputting? anything greater than a charging voltage while your battery is connected to your car of c14.5v will not be doing your electronics any good at all!

Okay. What i was doing was using the charger to give it a boost while attempting to start. From now on I will stop doing that then and just use the girlfriends charger to keep the battery charged up between testing it.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

Nope. The hydro lock was a combination of the car not being used since November last year plus rain water getting in via the injector holes. Once I realised this I then bought a cheap gazebo to keep the engine bay dryer.
Have I seriously screwed up a brand new fuel filter?!!

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Okay. What i was doing was using the charger to give it a boost while attempting to start. From now on I will stop doing that then and just use the girlfriends charger to keep the battery charged up between testing it.

You can use boost, start and repair settings on battery chargers as long as you disconnect the negative post from the battery to the car chassis these settings can output anywhere between 16-18v.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It does seem to be on a high setting.
Nope. The hydro lock was a combination of the car not being used since November last year plus rain water getting in via the injector holes. Once I realised this I then bought a cheap gazebo to keep the engine bay dryer.
Have I seriously screwed up a brand new fuel filter?!!

Well, diesel doesn't look like milk, so you need to find the source of the horrible fuel. You need a sample from the tank.

If that's what's going into your filter, then yes it needs to be replaced.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I was also wondering the source of the fuel and the water contamination , that’s not even dissolved by the look of it

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
The diesel shown is from the low pressure side of the system, before it's got a far as the high pressure pump, so this is basically diesel and water mixed by age and the action of the lift pump.

You can get away with re-using your new fuel filter (not ideal, but as it's new and you are watching the pennies, it is possible), by flushing fresh diesel through it.

Your next step - as Blobcat - is to drain the tank and refill with a generous quantity of fresh fuel, not just 5 litres .

Then you need to flush through the high pressure side as well. You can do this by cracking open an injector feed pipe once you have made sure that good diesel is entering the high pressure pump.

Then - wonder of wonders - your engine will fire up and run sweet as a nut!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I was also wondering the source of the fuel and the water contamination , that’s not even dissolved by the look of it
Probably from the pump hoses, they can leak badly :rolleyes::D:p

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The diesel shown is from the low pressure side of the system, before it's got a far as the high pressure pump, so this is basically diesel and water mixed by age and the action of the lift pump.

You can get away with re-using your new fuel filter (not ideal, but as it's new and you are watching the pennies, it is possible), by flushing fresh diesel through it.

Your next step - as Blobcat - is to drain the tank and refill with a generous quantity of fresh fuel, not just 5 litres .

Then you need to flush through the high pressure side as well. You can do this by cracking open an injector feed pipe once you have made sure that good diesel is entering the high pressure pump.

Then - wonder of wonders - your engine will fire up and run sweet as a nut!

The filter medium won't deal with water and will break apart internally. I wouldn't chose to reuse if I had a choice.

You may as well flush the hp side by spraying the contaminated stuff through the injectors,some of it will end up in the tank via leak off anyway.

Opening the hp side to bleed is not ideal on CR and generally causes more problems than it solves.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The filter medium won't deal with water and will break apart internally.

Interesting, that.
Forgive me, but I thought that - as diesel can absorb water in storage - separating out any water in the diesel was part of the purpose of the fuel filter.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Interesting, that.
Forgive me, but I thought that - as diesel can absorb water in storage - separating out any water in the diesel was part of the purpose of the fuel filter.
Just particulates /solids I believe ...

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting, that.

A small (less than 1%) amount of water will seperate out in the filter and will drop out of suspension in a filter designed with a water seperator, and will sit at the bottom of the filter.

With this amount of water, which seems to be visually the same as when a friend of mine swapped the coolant supply and diesel return lines on a VW golf.(that was fun) It seems to be emulsified as others have mentioned.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just particulates /solids I believe ...

Think you'll find they're designed to separate out both impurities and water.
So - being non-technical - I'm presuming that the filter innards are built to cope with water without 'breaking apart internally'.

On my old boat with a diesel filter, I've removed more than half the contents before now, which have been dirty water. Maybe canister filters are made with different materials that break up more easily?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom