Le Mans 24hr Diesels 1, 2 & 3

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Peugeot take 1st & 2nd with Turbo Diesels, Audi 3rd with the same.
Aston Martin first petrol car home in 4th, who would have thought it possible a few years ago? Any bets on a F1 diesel in the next few years? :Oops:

Russ

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Peugeot take 1st & 2nd with Turbo Diesels, Audi 3rd with the same.
Aston Martin first petrol car home in 4th, who would have thought it possible a few years ago? Any bets on a F1 diesel in the next few years? :Oops:

Russ

Maybe a diesel SL is not so far of after all. :confused:

Brian, you trend setter you! ;):rolleyes::)

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
they would win :lol: no pitstops

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Any bets on a F1 diesel in the next few years? :Oops:

Russ

Definately. The FIA is going down the KERS route to make the sport seem more ecological as the KERS cars are technically hybrids-but KERS is purely a performance aid, not a fuel saving one :rolleyes: but for the masses its seen as making hybrids acceptable. A diesel engine is more eco friendly still...

F1 will have/should have diesels but the FIA stifle F1 with too much regulation and red tape, it should be the pinnicle of motorsport, not something restricted by red tape so whether diesel enters F1 is purely a matter of whether the FIA want this. At sometime they will as interest in biofuels, Co2 isn't unfortunately going away.

F1 cars produce about 800bhp, and redline at 18k rpm. A diesel will never really be able to go beyond 5k so the engine that would have to be developed would need about 900 ft/lb + torque to generate 800bhp to have parity power wise with the petrol cars. A V8 diesel of 2.4litre capacity simply cannot do this, so the FIA would really have to relax things to make things work. A quad turbo version of the V12 thats in Audi's Q7 would generate sufficient power to give a performace parity, but thats a 6litre engine.

In touring cars a diesel engine isn't an issue as the petrols are only 300-400bhp and a diesel with its lower rev limit can reach this easily from a sensibly sized engine and torque levels aren't in the tractor pulling contest levels to make peak power of 300-400bhp unattainable.

Then there is the issue of mass, but that maybe a benefit as the engine is between the two axles-awesome traction.

I'd like to see more differentiation in the cars in F1, not less.

Cnics

Reaction score
Website
www.cnics.co.uk
Well the (i believe) relatively new 420CDi versions of the GL and ML look to be impressive figures on paper. Diesel technology is advancing at an alarming rate IMO.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Well the (i believe) relatively new 420CDi versions of the GL and ML look to be impressive figures on paper. Diesel technology is advancing at an alarming rate IMO.

They are only producing a little over 300bhp. Good and impressive as the peak power in a 420cdi S class 221 is about the same as the old 500 engine in the 220 S class yet over 500cc smaller and diesel.

Still nowhere near F1 or even Lemans Diesel engine standard where specific output is over 100bhp/litre.

Actually I am more intrigued by VWs Bluesport concept where a mid engined boxster/mx5 rival gets an oil burner. For handling this couldn't be better as the heavier engine will provide more traction but not instability as none of its slung over the back. Audi need to build the R8 V12 TDi.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I dont doubt that it would be possible to get a diesel engine to compete with the present F1 engines, diesels dont need the higher revs to produce the torque, and it has to be remembered that the F1 engine doesnt have to be built to do 250K miles or Kms.. so possibly lighter,stronger and more expensive materials could be utilised..
I would suspect that the KERS will be along the lines of development for producing that instant BHP when required and no doubt someone will produce an electric version of the F1 which would really give the sport a kick..
I do believe that the present problems or disagreement within F1 are more to do with spending on development rather than politics.. tho getting rid of little Bernie may be high up on the agenda oh and herr Max as well..

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom