Leaking boot

Rtaylor8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk 230
Hi All

After the heavy rain over the last couple of days, I have noticed a slight leak in the SLK's boot. On quick investigation, I think the drains(?) (by the rear of the roof, on either side) look to be blocked with muck. I will have a poke about this weekend but any advice on how best to clean would be appreciated. Having broken things before...

1. Does the plastic guard simply 'pop-off' - it looks a bit flimsy so don't want to break it!

2. Without getting under the car how far do the 'drains' go - will I have to dig deep to clear them in other words!!

Cheers

Rich

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'd clean all the detritus from the rubber seals around the rear window first then give it a good going over with gummi pflege
I've not had to clear the drains on mine but I'd look at some curtain wire although you might just find it's the top that's a bit blocked.

I do find if it's rained a lot and I open the boot quickly the drains can't cope, I just open the boot slower to stop the deluge.

OP
Rtaylor8

Rtaylor8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk 230
Great Thanks Blobcat - will have a look over the weekend (assuming its not raining!!!)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You can pull apart the drains from below the back window easily to clean / check them

drain.jpg

Bit more difficult to get to the top of the drain because of how the rubbers overlap - easiest way to get to that is to partly open the roof.

drain 1.jpg

OP
Rtaylor8

Rtaylor8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk 230
So an update..... cleared the offside one - easily done . Pushed an old plastic washing line down all the way and then flushed through with a low pressure hospipe..... all ran well.

Still have an issue with nearside. Did same as above but plastic line seems to run up against a blockage about 1/2 way down.... is there a bend in the drainage pipe? Or does it sound as if there is an issue with where the area near the rear bumper where water should discharge?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom