Leaking self levelling suspension

124fan

Reaction score
My 230te has sprung a leak in the self levelling system pipework just forward of the rear axle. It looks as though the pipe has corroded at one of the fixing points. The rest of the pipework looks sound. I understand from reading MB forum that this is not uncommon. One suggested solution was to cut the pipe and fit a connector of some sort. I read that a swagelok fitting (suggested by Number-cruncher) could be a solution. Has anyone successfully completed this type of remedy and in particular, any advice on which swagelok or other type of fitting would be suitable - Having contacted swagelok, there are so many types of fittings. A key question is 'what is the pressure in the self levelling system?' I assume the self levelling system pipework is 6mm in diameter and that the fluid used would be non-corrosive for replacement flexible connectors. Grateful for any advice and guidance! Am in West London area.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes many have joined a new piece in, or if you do not it is a sub frame off job, the pressure is the same as for brakes and fittings for brakes should do just fine.

Our member herbiemercman did this job recently and others will see the post and answer

OP

124fan

Reaction score
Thanks for re-assuring response. I'll kep checking the forum and hope herbiemercman offers advice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry I forgot to welcome you to the forum :D:D.

We have some good guys on this forum who have all of the answers to these things, but many are working during the day time

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No one yet but this will come to the top of the page again

stewart&wisbey

Reaction score
Website
www.stewartandwisbey.co.uk
Your Mercedes
currently 300TD 124
the pipes can be repaired by cutting out the corroded section and inserting a copper replacement of simular size and using olive type compression joints simular to that used in house hold copper plumbing just smaller. available from some hardware stores, if you get stuck i can find the pipe size and connection size for you in the morning (just repaired mine:)).

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Yes, hydraulic compression fittings will work OK - swagelock are quite good, being stainless. Any local stockist or maker of hydraulic pipes will have lots of choice.

The supply pipie for this system will never see any pressures over 3000 psi, so, there's no need for anything too special, while the return pipe is barely above atmospheric pressure.

OP

124fan

Reaction score
Thanks Aaron, it would be useful if you do have the connection size available, I assume the pipe is 6mm in diameter. Fortunately the pipe is quite accessible and I'd be able to choose a suitable length to fit in.

And thanks Number_cruncher, it is the supply pipe that's leaking so the pressure is important. Swagelok will make up a flexible (PTFE?) section with stainless connectors..though I suspect it would be quite pricey.

OP

124fan

Reaction score
Self levelling suspension no longer leaking. Used swagelok fitting, 25cm flexible pipe with stainless steel locking nuts. 20 minute job.

Top Bottom