Leaking SLK Roof

Tekcoe

Reaction score
Hi, information on that leaking roof problem would be greatly appreciated, Phil
P.s while seaching the net, i have found wiring diagram and vario roof operation and adjustment, are you aware of this? Still need to locate position of roof ECU, can you help with that?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum,, I will send you some details :D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm, I also have an SLK which has developed this problem of leaking, could you please send me the instructions?:D

It should be in your inbox :D:D and welcome to the forum :D:D

wil_sutton

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK350, GL550, ML430, Jag X-Type
2005 SLK350 (R171) Leaking at A-pillar also

This car has only been worked on by the dealer. Figure they should be applying whatever seal lubrications are necessary (since I'm not sure what else they're doing that's worth almost $400 US per visit).

Small leaks at both A-pillars. Water collects in the passenger seat in a heavy rain, otherwise it only drips a bit. They want $700 US to replace seals, and I'm not sure it's worth it... Further, they refuse to cover it under the Starmark warranty. That thing hasn't been worth a damn. Don't buy it!

Any ideas? Feel free to email me...

Last edited:

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320

So far - touch wood - My SLK is not exhibiting the problem, but working on the principle that prevention is better than cure (and being certain that the current good weather will not last indefinitely) perhaps when you have a moment Malcolm, you could email me the details too?

pjtynan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320, Toyota Rav4

Hi Malcolm, I am in the same position as antijam ie no problem yet with my SLK but would appreciate it if you could let me have the details as a standby

Regards PJ Tynan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you a few papers to read in bed ;):D

geoffd

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
56 plate SL 350 (sold)
SLK roof leaks

Hi

I'm wouldn't be too quick to do any realignment etc - you might do more harm than good.

I had a 2003 SLK 230 until recently and it always leaked bit from the rubber drip troughs just behind the screen rail ends on both sides. Others tell me that pretty much all SLKs do this too. And from the pictures at the start of this thread that looks to be where this one leaks as well.

I never managed to fully cure mine, but greasing the screen rail rubber seal always helped and reduced the drip rate. At worst it got about a drip per minute, and after greasing fell to 2 or 3 drips per hour. You should also grease the rubber seal at the back of the roof too.

Following advice on another forum, I used a Honda product called 'Shin Etsu' silicone grease - it's about £7 for a 200 gram tube. All Honda dealers should stock it.

The other thing that occurs to me is that blockages in the drains in the screen pillars will cause water leaks into the car. Check by pouring water into the top of the drain and checking that it runs out under the car. And while you have the water to hand, check the drains at the front of the boot lips as well - the ones with the black guards over them.

Strikes me it's cheaper and safer to try grease or checking for blockages before any mechanical work to that very complicated roof.

Geoff

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm, I am in the same position as antijam ie no problem yet with my SLK but would appreciate it if you could let me have the details as a standby

Regards PJ Tynan

With an Email address i can send them

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm

Sorry about not posting an e-mail address, see below:

pjt§§§§§§§§§§§§ta§§et

Thanks again PJ Tynan

OK I have sent it,,,you have an out to remove your address if you wish in "edit"

Andyslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210, R170
Hi, sorry to be a pain but would you be kind enough to send me a copy of the roof adjustment procedure ;)

thanks in advance :p

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Andy details sent,,,thanks for doing your homework and searching,,you can remove your address in edit within 2 hours

Andyslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210, R170
Thanks Malcolm, looking forward to some light reading :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What merc programme do you use malcolm? wis? you seem on the ball with the lot!

I have about 2500 of the most requested things printed off.
To write out on every post what to do would be so boring, and time consuming, compared with many forums it may look to be rather dull,but within 2 or 3 post the OP has his answer, it is the correct one usually.

I just love helping people where I can, they may not be able to do all of the things,,but at least they know what the score is when taking the car in

drlouai

Reaction score
My convertible clk55 has the same problem, water leaking on both driver and passenger side in exactly the spot as demonstrated in the picture. checked by the dealer and replaced the seals but unfortunately after yesterdays storm i noticed slight leak again. it isnt as bad as before but obviously not cured the problem.
could you please help with any suggestions

email: louai2001@yahoo.com

Thanks

Top Bottom