Leaking SLK Roof

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My convertible clk55 has the same problem, water leaking on both driver and passenger side in exactly the spot as demonstrated in the picture. checked by the dealer and replaced the seals but unfortunately after yesterdays storm i noticed slight leak again. it isnt as bad as before but obviously not cured the problem.
could you please help with any suggestions

email: louai2001@yahoo.com

Thanks

Is your car a 208 or 209 please there is not so much info for leaks on these cars but I have some info

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi i would also check in boot where spare wheel is.check centrel locking pumps .has no water on wire plugs.cover in spong

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is as i feared and no info on this other that what has been done and replace the window top seals

The seals should be oils with a silicon oil.

I wonder if they re set the windows after fitting the new rubbers.
In key 2 just wind down the window, then close it again only holding the button on the first detent (not fully pushed)hold the button for 10 sec in key 2

SLKfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230K 02, Rover 75
I'm far from a young man, but could I have a set too please?

Many thanks.

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
Malcolm,

I have a very similar problem on a 2004 SL55, do you have any documentation on adjustments for this roof by any chance?

This is where the adjustment is needed, at the rear pivot point between the roof and the rear pillar:
SL55%20Roof%20005.jpg

I took it to a dealer complaining of a creaking coming from the seal where it is now loose and was told that all they did was lube the contact points on the hinge.

I strongly believe they loosened this pivot point but Mercedes are claiming that they didn't and expect me to pay up to 5 hours labour to investigate. They say that any adjustment to the join in the picture requires a number of hours of labour and as they only had the car for 30-45 mins there is no way they would have done this.

Would really appreciate some guidance as it now leaks from this point:
SL55%20Roof%20002.jpg

and at the front where the roof meets the windscreen pillar:
SL55%20Roof%20001.jpg

A small amount of pressure on the pivot point seems to close both front and rear joins hence stopping the leaks.

I would like to prove to Mercedes that this area can be adjusted in a relatively short space of time, or in fact just correct it myself if possible as there is the slim chance that what Mercedes are telling me is accurate, but I dont see how this join would open up of its own accord when it was fine before giving them the car :confused:

Sorry to hijack this thread but it seemed the most relevant place to post.

anish73@gmail.com

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome to the forum,, yes the bowden cables in the C pillar joint can be adjusted as can the A pillar seal.

There is quite a lot to print off to do this and I will this evening,,please remind me

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
Malcolm,

Thank you. Can I assume that as there is so much to print off, that in fact there is quite a lot to do to make these adjustments? Also as it involves cables, maybe there is a chance that this could happen of its own accord?

Having said that I could stop assuming and have a good old read tonight :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need your Email address please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry been a lousy day

6 papers sent,,I am putting up some pictures of hold the roof in the bodywork section

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
silicone sealent would do the job? Couple of tubes in white??

SL55 AMG

Reaction score
Malcolm,

Thanks so much for this. Looks a little complicated but I am sure its not as bad as it looks. From what I can see its just the Bowden cable that needs a little tightening to pull the two roof elements together.

Have you had any experience in doing any of this yourself or have you just managed to get the relevant documentation as I feel I would benefit from a little more in depth conversation before deciding on whether to try to tackle this.

Very useful to see how it all hangs together though.

S

Stevitee

Just thought I'd share my experience of this 'SLK feature'. After one of the monumental downpours about 10 evenings ago I opened the driver's door to find my freshly reburbished/re-painted driver's seat (see my other thread) heavily covered in water drips and a little puddle. Mopped it up and drove home a little puzzled and with a damp backside. Next day, more rain, same result.
Consulted the forum and saw this and other threads and thought I'd try the 'easy' option of applying grease rather than start adjusting things.
I opened the roof halfway (on one of the few days when it hasn't been raining!) and applied ordinary grease (a smear) to the mating faces of the seals - that's the square shaped end of the rubber seal on top of the screen at the top of the screen pillar and its opposite number on the leading edge of the roof. Shut the roof, wiped away the little amount of grease that oozed out and waited to see what would happen. On Saturday we had another massive downpour and then throughout yesterday. The result - no water ingress at all.
The only downside , I suppose, will be remembering to not touch against these points or get grease on clothing when the roof is open but its probably going to be a few months before I can do that again.
Worth a try eh?

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Just thought I'd share my experience of this 'SLK feature'. After one of the monumental downpours about 10 evenings ago I opened the driver's door to find my freshly reburbished/re-painted driver's seat (see my other thread) heavily covered in water drips and a little puddle. Mopped it up and drove home a little puzzled and with a damp backside. Next day, more rain, same result.
Consulted the forum and saw this and other threads and thought I'd try the 'easy' option of applying grease rather than start adjusting things.
I opened the roof halfway (on one of the few days when it hasn't been raining!) and applied ordinary grease (a smear) to the mating faces of the seals - that's the square shaped end of the rubber seal on top of the screen at the top of the screen pillar and its opposite number on the leading edge of the roof. Shut the roof, wiped away the little amount of grease that oozed out and waited to see what would happen. On Saturday we had another massive downpour and then throughout yesterday. The result - no water ingress at all.
The only downside , I suppose, will be remembering to not touch against these points or get grease on clothing when the roof is open but its probably going to be a few months before I can do that again.
Worth a try eh?

Glad that your problem seems to have been solved so easily. I would suggest that as soon as possible you carefully clean off all traces of the mineral grease you have applied, as it will probably attack and soften the seals leading to their eventual failure.

Replace it with a silicone based lubricant designed specifically for rubberised components.

S

Stevitee

Thanks Antijam. I will do exactly that - I suppose I should have written that I did it with 'ordinary grease' to see what would happen and to prove that it worked before acquiring the silicon type (which I don't have to hand). Will do and thanks again.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom