Leather border under seat belt escutcheon

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Hi all,

As you know, the seat belt extender arm emerges from a triangular hole. That hole is covered by a plastic escutcheon. Over time, the leather edge around the hole has shrunk back, so the escutcheon no longer masks the edge and it all looks quite tatty. A common problem, no doubt.

Has anyone had any success in overcoming this problem? I recall coming across a post some time ago (may not have been on this forum) which described stretching the leather using a hairdryer, then somehow securing it at the edge (can't remember how exactly, but he didn't just glue it to the base). I've also found a post on a leather expert's site, which advises against using a hairdryer, but instead, rubbing in an emulsion of water and saddle soap/neatsfoot oil over time and the leather gently relaxes with a bit of coaxing.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Heating leather is not good, neither is getting it wet.It shrinks after getting wet.

To get leather to cover things like gear shift etc, you beat it with a mallet on the inside, and this will stretch it, it you stretch it, it gets thinner, so the right piece of leather is chosen for these task.

In your case I would lift it as far as possible and apply an impact adhesive in stages, stretching it as you go.

Hyde food on that year of car is good to get it soft

Mercedes 190E

Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2013 C220 CDI, 2004 A140 Classic SE (Parents!)
Are you sure it's leather and not vinyl? If vinyl, heating and gluing will work-I need to do this on the B posts of my TE soon.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Are you sure it's leather and not vinyl? If vinyl, heating and gluing will work-I need to do this on the B posts of my TE soon.

You can always tell from the backing,if its skin or other. yes you can warm the plastic, but not too hot or that will shrink

OP
W

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Ah, thanks 190E, never thought of that. How do I check please? (I know it was originally cloth trimmed, and a previous owner then had it retrimmed in leather - a very good job, with the rear cards even having ruffled inserts, so perhaps he specified leather). Having said that, it makes the car sound like a boudoir, which it isn't! :p

OP
W

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Even as I post, Malcolm rides to the rescue, once again.

Thanks!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom