LED Lighting of Other Road Users

Do you have opinion of other road users LED lighting?

• They are an improvement to safety, I've no issues

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I'm not overly concerned but I occasionally feel discomfort from their lights

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Sometimes my visibility is impaired by them as I'm driving

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I am regularly blinded and consider them to be a nuisance

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
A couple of weeks ago I fitted these to the Viano
For Mercedes W639 Vito Viano 12V LED Rear Bumper Reflector Reverse Stop !! * | eBay
Are they to bright for others, well they're only designed as DRL's so I don't see that.

As they replace the red rear reflectors I've yet to find out if there will be any MOT issue. But the other red rear lights reflect so I view the legislation is still met. I'll find out on the 22nd.

The brighter reds are connected to the DRL outputs from the SAM.
The lesser reds are connected as side lights, so additional to the sides at night as the DRL's are automatically extinguished.
I can only see advantage to them as being as careful as I think I am I wouldn't want to be the moron cruising along in dim visibility with no rear lights on, as I see so many camouflaged clowns do.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
In todays cars it is possible to design brake lights to extinguish when the car is stationary, even if after a small delay would be good.
They are brake lights and designed to inform following vehicles that the car is slowing. They aren't stationary lights, we have the hazard warning flashers where that might be an advantage.

Then with the realisation that Volvo were actually right for all those years and legislating for DRL's to be a requirement, how come they couldn't see that Volvo have the rear lights on as well?
Yep Volvo were not only right but they had the ideal solution using lights that were designed not to dazzle - low beam headlights.
Some cars (Citroen DS for example) are not only very bright but also dazzle quite badly. Headlights were the ideal solution.

Reactions: M80
OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep Volvo were not only right but they had the ideal solution using lights that were designed not to dazzle - low beam headlights.

But with the laser like LED's this is less true these days.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Some cars (Citroen DS for example) are not only very bright but also dazzle quite badly. Headlights were the ideal solution.
My Land Rover came dim dip as standard

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Something else on this subject.

When sitting at temporary roadworks if I'm the lead car and the traffic s coming towards me in my lane I switch my lights from dip beam to side lights. I don't want to impair the vision of anyone coming towards me, because if I do it's me they're most likely going to hit...

I used to see more drivers do the same, but I guess with the advent of automatic lights, less people are doing it now. They don't realise they've putting themselves at an increased risk by leaving their dipped headlights on.

Don't get me started about people parking on the wrong side of the road facing traffic and leaving their dipped headlights on...:mad: They're pointing directly into oncoming traffic... Learner drivers around here along with deliveries and the police appear to be the biggest culprits...
I am almost certain thats in the Highway Code.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
they tried similar to that years ago with dim/dip headlights .... never caught on
I remember having this on a Ford Orion.
I thought it was a Ford thing from the 80's, but as you say it never lasted.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I remember having this on a Ford Orion.
I thought it was a Ford thing from the 80's, but as you say it never lasted.

EmilysMum had a Hyundai with it (M reg IIRC) The controller for the dim/dip failed and powered the lights up with no ignition, so the controller was just left un-plugged! :)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car has Multibeam LED and have to say it is the best headlights of any car I have ever owned. :cool:
When there is no streetlights it automatically switches to high beam, but quickly deactivates only the LED's that point towards both oncoming vehicles and ones in front of me on same side of the road.
My journey to work includes an unlit dual carriageway section and I can see exactly where the beams are pointing and the parts that are deactivating. Sometimes an oncoming car will flash me as soon as it comes into view but at the same time my headlights are reacting to it. I put this down to the driver being impatient and had they waited a second later there would be no problem. Occasionaly I have flashed back to prove a point. :D
The biggest problem I see is aftermarket HID conversions.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EmilysMum had a Hyundai with it (M reg IIRC) The controller for the dim/dip failed and powered the lights up with no ignition, so the controller was just left un-plugged! :)
Thats interesting...and quite a few years after my Orion which was 1989.
I still think it was Ford who were first with this technology because they were using it prior to my Orion, but Im not sure for how long.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rule 114 above applies to all road users.

As most agree, the issue is with people who fit unsuitable aftermarket mods to their cars.

Not me.
The after market HID tend to provide a more erratic light output. Yes they can dazzle but it is, imo, not overly difficult to discern the difference between those and the newer cleaner LED headlights. When they dazzle tit can feel like a painful attack on the eyes.
I can't comment on LED conversions but in the main after I've lost road vision due to powerful, badly aimed, lighting it is a recent model that passes me. That btw includes some new vans and wagons.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Not me.
The after market HID tend to provide a more erratic light output. Yes they can dazzle but it is, imo, not overly difficult to discern the difference between those and the newer cleaner LED headlights. When they dazzle tit can feel like a painful attack on the eyes.
I can't comment on LED conversions but in the main after I've lost road vision due to powerful, badly aimed, lighting it is a recent model that passes me. That btw includes some new vans and wagons.

Same for me, its generally newer stuff and totally misaligned headlamps that are actually 'painful'

Last edited:
Reactions: M80

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thankfully my eyes seem to manage with nightime driving....................
so far,
but I do understand the issue.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
My aclass headlights leave a lot to be desired,however as I rarely drive over 50 its not much of a problem,my africa days keep me off the roads at night unless I have to. I fitted nightbreakers, which the french ct people did not much like .I have yet to refit them..

Reactions: DSK

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Head lights appears to an endless topic. Most are far too bright. Its about time the police clamp down misaligned, one headlight characters and others who also have their fog lights on a clear night. DRL, also far too bright, the clue is in the name, why don't they switch off when the headlights are on?
End of rant Happy Christmas everyone.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom